Grounding an old Supro

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Frunobulax, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Frunobulax

Frunobulax Guest

I have a Supro 1690 with a two-wire power cord that I'd like to replace with a 3-wire. Is it as simple as replacing the existing leads and connecting the grounding wire to the chassis?

Thanks-
    Eric

2. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Yep. On mine, there is a grounding lug attached to the rectifier tube socket(at least on mine there is). The cord hole is pretty small though. I ended up tying a knot for strain relief rather than using a plastic one- the existing relief was way too small to hold even the thinnest 3-cord wire.

3. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I always put a ground lug on one of the power transformer bolts and solder the ground wire from the new cord to it.
    Use a locking nut.

4. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Yes and no.

There's a few other things that should be changed (or moved) to be wired correctly. For instance, the 'death cap' should be removed. Also, the fuse should be wired to the 'hot' side. I just rewired my Supro. It only takes about half an hour to do it right (and that's being meticulous).

Here's a diagram I found on another site, it might help you. This is how it should look when complete.

[​IMG]

5. sinner

sinner Member

I need to see that diagram, can you find it (only red x showing).
    I just got a 1956 Supro with original 2-prong.
    Thanks!

6. doctorx

doctorx Member

Here is a link to a page on my website showing how to rewire a fender for a grounded cord, it is essentially the same thing. Find and remove the ground cap, put the switch and fuse on the black AC lead, and ground the green wire someplace and you'll be good.

7. sinner

sinner Member

Oh man, that's look hard! Just like those directions you get when you buy something at Ikea you have to put together--just kidding, but thanks for the link (but I think it is too much for me, I'll take it in and have a basic check-up while I'm at it.)