Grover locking tuners - cam stuck inside the string post?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by gassyndrome, Dec 14, 2016.

1. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Hi guys,

I have just run into a problem while restringing my Gibson Buckethead LP. One of the locking Grover rotomatic tuners is having an issue where the locking cam (which secures the string inside the post) is not opening, and opening or closing the thumbwheel has no effect.

There is no string caught in there, but it means I am now unable to lower the cam insert to put a string in there. I've tried every variation of winding/unwinding the thumbwheel to no avail. Super annoying and I have no idea how to try and fix this?!!

Has anyone run into this before and have a clever idea?

Cheers,
    Simon.

2. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

Tap it gently with a rubber or plastic hammer, while supporting the headstock so as not to break it. This happened on my 2012 Trad Pro. So annoying, but easily fixed.

3. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Thanks! I will have to try that. The cam just fell down inside the post I guess?

Cheers,
    Simon.

4. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

Yep. It was all 6 of mine, so one should be a breeze.