Grover tuner ball bearing fell out...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by FuzzFacetious, Jan 10, 2018.

1. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

I have been having some issues with Grovers not holding tune like they're supposed to (they seem crap tbh unless it's a problem with the guitar - but when I treat the grovers like standard tuners they seem okay... Except the E which changes its tuning depending on how hard I hit the string, WTF, but I digress...) so I was playing about with one of the offending ones, and it came apart, and I heard a little something metallic fall to the ground. I put it back together and wound the string, it no longer feels like the holes lock into place or grip or whatever, but it tuned up okay. After some frantic searching of the carpet I found a little ball bearing that I assume was what fell out of the tuner. How would I go about putting it back in?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

never heard of a ball bearing inside a tuning key. exactly what kind of guitar and exactly what kind of keys? (pics would be very useful)

3. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

4. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Looks like they use Grover Locking Rotomatics on those guitars. The bearing may be what presses against the string inside the peg to lock it in place. On many other lockers, they use an internal shaft connected to a knurled locking nut on the rear of the tuner housing. Rotomatics have some sort of internal cam mechanism that automatically applies pressure to the string as you begin tightening it. If I'm right, the loss of that bearing means the tuner won't lock any more. On the plus side, it'll still operate as a tuner if you wrap the string around the tuner peg the traditional way.

walterw and Lobotomie like this.