1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Grover Tuners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skintknuckle, Feb 10, 2008.

1. skintknuckle

skintknuckle Supporting Member

So, I have a '96 Les Paul custom that is hard to tune. Seems to stay in tune and intonates well. But, it is difficult to tune. I go back and forth between whether I think it is the tuners or the nut. Some of the tuners seem to "skip gears". Questions:
    1) Any recommendations on dressing the nut?
    2) Are there any "drop-in" replacements for the factory Grovers? I don't really want to drill any holes.
    3) Why does Gibson continue to use Grovers when so many people replace them?

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I thought Gibson was using Kluson style tuners these days. Grovers sounds more like an Epi thing.

I've never really run into any problems with Grovers. The bullseye Grovers that came on my Hamer Sunburst seemed a little dodgy until I adjusted the screws on the buttons. After that they worked great.

3. skintknuckle

skintknuckle Supporting Member

Pete, I appreciate the reply. It's definitely a Gibson. I did a little internet search and found that the Customs from the '90s seem to have Grovers. In regard to the "screws on the buttons", are you talking about the screw that holds the "tuning key" to the gear housing? WB

4. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

The screw that sort of holds the button on. It also adjusts the tightness of the tuner. I'm not sure what problem you're having though, and these were Grovers from an earlier era.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if Gibson did something different for the Kustoms for tuners. I'm surprised they didn't use Schallers. The tuners on my '82 Standard appear to be Schallers, but I'm not sure who actually made them.

[​IMG]

But I kind of think the Kluson style tuners on my more recent '98 Les Paul Junior/Special are made by Grover. I don't have any pics handy of those, but I think they're labeled Gibson, but made by Grover. I suppose maybe all their tuners come from Grover these days.

I wonder if a new set of Grover Rotomatics would be a slight upgrade, and be a drop-in fit.

5. anibas

anibas Member

Grover also has a series of locking tuners that are direct replacements for their regular models that might be worth looking at-Stewmac sells them online.

6. hankzee

hankzee Member

Get hold of "Classical AX at www.clasicalax.com The guys are "Great!" I really called Gibson (I needed tunning heads too) for my 1951 ES-125; and tehy gave me this shop. Their humber is 615-254-6814. They're out of Nasville, TN. 37212. You won't be disapointed!

LAter,
    Hankzee:BluesBros