Growing tired of G12M "greenbacks" mushing out at high volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HeeHaw, Jan 6, 2006.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Recently I have been running much higher volumes with my greenback loaded 4x12 and have noticed at higher volumes they start to "get mushy". I have loved them for a long time due to their mellow nature, but the cones losing control has become a tad annoying. I understand that the cone breakup is desireable to some folks, and is an integral part of why the greenback is loved. However, they just seem to lack the precision at higher volumes.

I'm not saying they are bad, but am just thinking I may need to look somewhere else.

Any thoughts?

-Rich

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

moving up to the G12H will make a difference.....and still retain plenty of 'vintage' tone......

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

What the riffmeister said...that's why I use H's exclusively...

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I can't wait to try that speaker. I'm guessing it'll show up here any day now.:BOUNCE

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Rich, January 7th is what the Fedex website says. Crank it up and get back to me! :JAM

6. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

What kind of cab are you using, and what do you mean by mushing. are you taling about the bottom end thumping out???

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

8. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Yes. The bottom end starts getting really undefined at higher volumes.

9. Rid

Rid Senior Member

H's.....the best Celestions ever:D

10. KLB

KLB Member

Don't give up yet. Try this: As you increase volume, decrease the amount of amp gain and breakup to compensate for the increased cone breakup.

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'll try that tonight. Thanks!:dude

12. bjm007

bjm007 Member

13. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I have Greenbacks in my Wizard cab, and from what I know about the Wizard Modern Classic after playing through other cabs, the Greenbacks can't handle what the Wizard's dealing out.

Same problem, they get floppy in the bass, and the mid's mush out.

14. ahab

ahab Member

I have a 4x12 Marshall cab with greenbacks that I have used with a dimed 1959slp that sounds amazing! Don't give up on the greenbacks just yet...mess with your amp settings first, then if you still don't like them, move on.
    Just my opinion of course,
    -Ahab

15. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Had the same experience with my H&K Triamp. Had to take back the Greenies.

16. mmorse

mmorse Member

Hmmm... mushy greenbacks. Been there, that's why mine are all gone. Scumback SA12H-75s will cure the mushed out blues. Even the M-75s hold up better than greenies. :AOK

17. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

It seems possible to me that your speakers are really wearing in and the cones are getting more floppy. Have you thought about trying to trade somebody for a new set of Greenbacks? There are plenty of people who would love a worn in set of greenbacks. I use G12Hs and after a few years of use, especially for high-volume applications, they start to wear in too. Have you tried different amps with your cab? It could be your power tubes starting to go or your transformers getting burned in that is accounting for the looser bass.

18. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Good advice.

19. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Classic Lead 80's........try them....that has been my complaint with GB's forever. Once I tried the CL80's it was a similar voice, but tighter.

George

20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Eminence GB12.

Here's how Dave at Avatar describes 'em on his site:

"The GB12 is fashioned after the Celestion Greenback. The GB12 is less muddy and has a tighter top end and slightly cleaner than original Greenbacks. The low-end is very powerful."

I concur (I really dig mine in my Tone King Continental).

Detractors will say, "But it doesn't really sound like a Greenback." Duh - that's the point! :)

You may also find this comment someone posted over at the 18 Watt forum helpful:

"I put the GB12 into the same 1x12 combo as the G12H-30 was in, and compared it with my other 1x12 combo with Weber 1230. To my ears, these speakers were much "closer" in tone [to a Greenback] than the 1230 and G12H-30; the main difference being that the GB12 had more of a "woody" tone. Now .. until now I've never really understood what "woody" was all about, but it's the only way I can describe what I heard with the GB12. Bottom end was good and tight without being overpowering - very much like the 1230. Highs were clear but the 1230 had a little more sparkle/shimmer. But the midrange is where I think the "woody" thing comes from .. think about the tone of an "oboe" - warm low-midrange and sweet upper midrange character ... it's very much like that. The woodiness is not overly dominant in the GB12, but does determine the character of the speaker. I really like it"

P.S. I also am a huge fan of the CL80 but it doesn't sound close to a Greenback to me.