Gryphon Strings

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Jayyj, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I learned a ton of stuff about vintage guitars from reading up on Frank Ford's website, but it somehow didn't occur to me until just now that my Dad lives less than twenty minutes from the shop he worked out of so I couldn't resist putting my head round the door. What a lovely place! Very friendly people, and I tried a bunch of stuff but the highlights were a '36 Gibson Nick Lucas and a '27 Martin 000-18.

The Nick Lucas was in interesting guitar, tighter and with better individual string definition than my own similar age L00 with a really strong rhythm voice - strumming a few Bob Dylan style rhythms on it made perfect sense. I actually think my L00 is subjectively a little nicer fingerstyle but I could see where the NL's strengths were.

The 000-18 was lovely - I've played quite a few early 14 fret versions but I don't think I've ever tried a 12 fretter and it was beautiful. I loved how easy it was to get through the full dynamics of the guitar's range, making the NL feel comparatively hard work. A bit lacking on bass compared to the NL when digging in but as a refined fingerpicker it was brilliant.

I also played a Gurian for the first time, which was a nice surprise, felt very like an American take on a Fylde guitar.

Anyway, just wanted to share, it's nice when you visit somewhere like that and get such a warm welcome.

GGinMP, derekd, paulg and 3 others like this.
  2. svenhoek

svenhoek Member

If you're referring to Gryphon Stringing Instruments in Palo Alto CA, I will whole heartedly agree. Lovely folks, an amazing shop. They are very generous with their time and knowledge, have a great selection, used gear is priced more than fairly. It's difficult to leave the shop, so many great instruments to play...

derekd, Jayyj and smiert spionam like this.
  3. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Yes, that's the one. I'm from the UK so it's a bit out the way for me, but my Dad lives down the road in Los Altos so I come out here every year for a week or so.

Yeah, used stuff seemed very keenly priced - they had a few things I'd have looked very closely at if I'd had a bit more in the guitar funds. Oh well! However keenly priced, the NL was still $29k though, that probably wouldn't have been on the cards...

derekd and svenhoek like this.
  4. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

They were extremely helpful when I inquired about having a neck reset on my old Regal parlor guitar. I ultimately decided not to do it due to it being cost prohibitive, but still they gave me the time of day as if I had been calling in regards to a high value instrument. Nice folks.

derekd and Jayyj like this.
  5. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I've done neck resets myself but I don't think I'd have known what to do without Gryphon's Frank Ford's workshop diaries - the wealth of knowledge he's put out there for everyone is quite incredible.

GGinMP likes this.
  6. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

Dan Erlewine speaks of him in pretty high regard. I should check out his neck reset info.

7. karmadave

karmadave Member

I used to live in Palo Alto, about 10 minutes from Gryphon. If you are in the market for a new, or vintage, acoustic guitar this is THE place to go. They have a wonderful selection of new and used guitars. Their electric guitar and amp collection is not bad either, but their bailiwick is acoustics instruments...