GSP1101 and Tech21 Sansamp PSA - Amp Tone Comparison

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by timmat, Mar 3, 2012.

1. timmat

timmat Supporting Member

Has anyone compared the amp tones in the Digitech GSP1101 with the Tech 21 sansamp psa-1? I've been thinking about getting a gsp1101 for the flexibility of amp models & effects in one unit.

But I plugged my psa-1 into the Aux input of my Fender Mustang II last night, and the tones were sounding great. I'm wondering how the core amp modeled tones of the GSP1101 (no effects) compare to the analog tones of the PSA.

Anyone try or have both?

Thanks.

2. Lele

Lele Member

I can't help you completely, but I can tell you that I had the PSA1 for some weeks many years ago. I used it with a Marshall amp (in a rack) and two Marshall 2x12 cabinets. It sounded great for hi gain tones and clean tones. But I did not like the in-between tones (low gain, breakup, etc) so that I made the decision to keep the Digitech Valve FX that was my main processor at that time.
    I didn't use the PSA1 directly into the mixer (or for recording) at that time, but sometimes when I played live the man at the mixer wanted me to put my ValveFX directly into the mixer, and it was not bad at all (or I should say quite good) for pop-rock music.
    Maybe I should try the PSA1 again, but I think that the GSP1101 can offer the same quality and much more choices, even if the PSA1 can be adjusted very quickly thanks to the knobs (but the range of tone and gain is impressive, so even a little adjustment of any knob gives a quite different tone).

3. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I ran into the same issues w/ the PSA-1.
    I do kind of regret getting rid of it. Cleans & high gain were great.
    In betweens, not so much.

4. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

Here are a couple of videos with more of a SRV type sound. A little too wet on the efx for my tastes but you should get the idea.

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I used to gig with basically the same GSP1101 rig I have now, but using the PSA1. Personally, I loved some of the hi-gain tones, but the GSP blows it away for warm cleans, mid tones and overall features IMHO. Even just stripping the FX away and comparing just the preamp tones, I still greatly prefer the GSP in every respect. To me, there's a certain "hardness/coldness" I find on most T21 products. The T60 and PE60 are sweet little amps for what they are though.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  6. Nota

Nota Member

I used to have the PSA1 going into a TC rack effects unit. As I remember it sounded great! Back then I didn't know much about tube guitar sounds though.

The reason I got rid of it was switching between presets on two rack units was a pain and required a bunch of extra gear configuration. And now that better modeling units are available, it doesn't make much sense to use things like the PSA.