GSP1101...in the house!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Will Chen, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

As such, GSP1101 enthusiasts if you would please provide me some guidance to get up and running quickly. I know where to get C63. My style is more in the jazz/rock idiom than hard rock or metal so please guide me towards some (preferably free) impulses which you've had some good luck with. To get started, I'd be looking for an off axis miced 4X12 for some Marshall crunch, something to pair with the bassman and/or deluxe amps to get more chime sans harshness and an improved dynamic response, and perhaps something which was miced at a distance. Looking for specific IRs, and the library/site they're associated with.

Also, those who've come from an RP500 or lower Digitech device what features have you found incredible useful which were missing from the lower units?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. ibanez270

ibanez270 Member

Welcome aboard Will. Go to the Redwirez site and DL the free IRs. There are a lot of them i'm sure you'll find some you like.

3. TFC

TFC Supporting Member

Welcome, Will! Looking forward to your contributions.

Here's the free Redwirez Marshall IRs: http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp

G.I.R.L. IR loader software (free). Useful for testing out IRs with your patches: http://www.mustbebeta.com/generalforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=674

Tons of helpful info here, though you will need to read through many posts to find it: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=618344

The 2 things that come to mind as far as improvements over the RP DigiTech units are the delay/reverb spillover when switching patches, and the ability to run XLR outs with cab sims while running 1/4" outs to your speaker cab w/o cab sims. Along those lines, I've also found it useful to be able to adjust the volume of my cab/monitor using the volume knob on the front of the unit without having it affect the volume coming out the XLRs to the PA (which are controlled by the sound guy). I'm not sure if that's unique to the GSP or if the RPs have that too.

4. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Congrats Will, Hope you enjoy it. :)

5. TFC

TFC Supporting Member

Two more things - definitely spend time reading through the release notes for the MustBeBeta C63 update. Lots of info there, though not always clearly expressed.

And one pitfall to avoid when auditioning IRs - whenever you select a custom IR in your patch, the LPF (Low Pass Filter) is automatically set to "OFF". IME, this results in a harsh, terrible sounding patch and will make you wonder why anyone would ever use custom IRs. Just remember to set the LPF back on right after you select the custom IR. LPF is the last option in the amp sub-menu.

6. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Thanks all! I looked over the release notes. Parallel effect processing looks interesting. Man, I really, really wish you could run 2 mod effects or a pitch and mod. Anyway looking forward to trying some IRs. I'm also planning a little experiment of comparing the output of the GSP into my PC and running the same IR in software and seeing how significant the effects of truncing the ir data down are. The LPF alone will ensure things will sound different, I'm curious as to how much and if one sounds significantly better than the other. Speaking of the LPF, does it alone make a difference in sound versus the RP units or is that something which is in the other units as well? IIRC, the RP355 had a hardware switch to control output modes which sounded like an LPF.

7. TFC

TFC Supporting Member

Yeah, there are times where I need to run 2 mods. I've got 2 units so I'm able to do it that way. You can always add a pedal in the loop, but that's not as elegant. I'm not familiar with RP units to know if they've got an LPF or equivalent.

8. jabelardo

jabelardo Member

There is a modulated delay that can be used to have two mod effects at the same time, is not ideal but can work in some cases.

9. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

A few of DigiTech's units also offer LFO parameter control, which you can use as a stealth 2nd mod effect.

10. jabelardo

jabelardo Member

the gsp1101 have a few

11. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

Download the Redwirez sample IR's - They are free!..... Lots of threads here on TGP with patch info........Five years with the GSP1101 and it isn't going anywhere. Enjoy!!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  12. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

Welcome to the club Will!

One small, but helpful tip when editing directly from the GSP as opposed to using X-Edit...

Press & hold the large dial for 2 seconds to enter "Quick Edit" mode. From there, turning the dial highlights each item (e.g. comp, amp, delay, reverb, fx, etc...). A quick press of the dial toggles each item on/off. Pressing & holding the dial gets you to the parameters for that item.

I find it easier to use than the matrix on the RPs.

Edit: also don't forget that vC63 has it's own version of X-Edit that takes advantage of the added functionality. Digi's stock version won't recognize a mustbebeta GSP. You can have both versions installed on your PC however if, like me, you have both GSP and RP units.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  13. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I had purchased a few other Redwirez cabs recently and finally got a few minutes to audition them. I'm really liking the Ubercab V30. I have a lot mics to audition though before I commit. The free cab is still a really good cab...

14. 3dognate

That's a good tip... it's been almost a year since I auditioned IRs and having to turn of the LPF with every change is such a pain in the butt... using G.I.R.L. definitely makes auditioning cabs a LOT easier. still gotta remember to reach over and flip the LPF to ON... Though I think that some of the off axis IRs can stand to have the LPF turned off as it brings so sizzle back that gets lost. I had not tried it til last night. I had always just used Jcab updater. The factory cabs are absolutely the worst without the LPF on them. I am always amazed at how much gainier/fizzier the facotry cabs are. I can get good usable tones with some of them though. Fun....

15. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

The GSP1101 arrived last night, sooner than expected! The first thing I noticed when opening the box was quite humorous. The GSP came out when, like 5 years ago right? On the box it mentions "HD Modeling" and "52 High Definition Preamp/Amp and Cabinet Models". Now I'm not sure if the packaging has always stated this, but if it has someone at Line 6 must be a Digitech fan. As they say, imitation is the greatest form of flattery. ;) You can barely make out the text in this photo (not mine).

So plugged her up and the second thing which came to mind is Digitech's preset choices. In an age in which companies slather it on effects wise trying to show off the power of the unit resulting in pretty useless patches, the GSP1101 powers up to their PlexiDrive preset, a completely simplistic and totally playable patch based around a TS pushed Plexi (this preset has appeared in their units since the GNX3K IIRC). Even dialing in 6 or 7 presets deep I think only one patch was a little over the top with all the others completely playable with little to no tweaking. Kudos!

Another point worth noting is that the GSP1101 is the first device in which running my Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones directly into the device actually sounded better than running the GSP1101 into my soundcard (via XLR). Not sure if has some additional filtering on it or if its simply a better amp which matches to my headphones impedance, but it was quite a pleasant surprise.

After messing around a bit and becoming familiar with the controls, I updated to C63 (which was a breeze), downloaded G.I.R.L., and started auditioning some of the free 1960 impulses from redwirez.com... :dude

In several threads I've been extremely skeptical of the improvement IR loading can offer to the GSP due to the truncated file. I was wrong, the difference is substantial. Now, of course the end quality will vary dramatically vs which IR one loads and in some cases I could get extremely close using a stock cab and the EQ. However, pairing an amp with a complementary IR the sound improvement is noticeable plus you still have the EQ to further tweak (not that its even necessary in many cases). I also have to say that somehow feel is impacted as well. This difference is extremely subtle though and may simply be the effects of the masking of some frequencies and emphasis of others allowing the dynamics which were already there but never realized fully to be exhibited (IME the RP500 was very dynamically responsive into an amp return but not as much run direct). Anyway, I was impressed enough to buy a couple additional cab irs to check out and will probably pick up at least 1 or 2 more.

So anyway, this is by and large a first impression/honeymoon quick review but suffice to say I'm impressed with what the GSP1101 offers. the next experiments will involve testing into my Alto FRFR, Trademark 60 return, compare the ir tone loaded internally and externally in a VST, and seeing if I can set up some patches in a way to mimic a manual mode ( ex patch 1 clean, patch 2 the same but trem engaged, patch 3 the same with chorus engaged, etc) which would work for me live. I'm going to write up a review focusing on the C63 features for my site but will post some of my impressions along the way in this thread.

16. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Does the gsp have all the amps/cabs that the rp500 has?

17. TFC

TFC Supporting Member

I think there is one Sunn amp that's in the RP but not the GSP, but that's off the top of my head.

18. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Only the Sunn 2x15 cab as far as I know.

19. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Does the c63 add extra amps? Because on digitech's website it said the gsp only has 36 amps.

20. 3dognate

Glad your first impression is good so far. Do you have a good tube amp and cabinet? The gsp1101 sounds completely bad ass when ran into the fx return of my SLO100 clone. (disabling cabinets if course)