GT-100 Basic Questions..

MarcBW

So, i've just sold my pedalboard and bought one of these on a whim and am fretting massively over knowing where to start with it basically (I have to gig with it tomorrow :/ )

I've read the manual which isn't massively in-depth, but it hasn't answered many basic questions for me. I'm a very cut-and-dry kinda guy.

I want to use the gt-100 like I used my old board, using my amps clean tone and the gt-100 for effects only. I play in a covers band on weekends and I need quite a large variety of different effects (Phasers, Delays set at different rates blah blah) and i'm just lost as to how to go about it really. I feel like a moron considering how easy people make it look.

I don't want to use any amp models live, just effects. And I want my volume levels to remain consistent between songs.

Does anyone have any idea how I can go about doing this without spending 12 hours solidly programming? There seems to be a miniscule amount of information on these units online. It's bizarre.

Anyway, cheers for any help you can spare!!

jerryratpack

Platinum Supporting Member
Mark, try this

GT-100 4 Cable Method for
As shown on the Boss site

The following are appropriate connections when using the "four-cable" method setup with the GT-100:

- Connect your guitar to Input of the GT-100.

- Connect the Send of the GT-100 to the input on your amp.

- Connect the Send on your amp to the Return on the GT-100.

- Connect the Output on the GT-100 to the Return on your amp.

After making the connections, be sure to turn on the SEND/RETURN loop in the GT-100:

1. Press the EFFECTS button.

2. Turn knob 4(SELECT) to choose the "S/R" icon.

3. Turn knob 3 to turn on the Send/Return Loop.

4. If desired, turn knob 4 to select the appropriate Mode for your setup. (For more details about the different S/R modes, see page 29 in the GT-100 manual).

5. To save the settings, press WRITE twice to and store them to a User patch location.

MetalGuitard

Marc, are you running the GT-100 into the front of your amp into the clean channel or doing the 4 cable method?

The GT can do just about anything you want. If I knew how, I'd send you a preset I made that would get you 80% of the way there.

jerryratpack

Platinum Supporting Member
Marc, good point metal guard makes. But if you go in front of your clean amp thru its input, all your effects and modulations stomps, etc will be first.

But, If you want to take full advantage of your amp, and use like your pedal board, use the 4 cable method.

I assume your comps, drives are before the amp and your chorus reverb, modulations are after the amp .

you can set it up any way you like depending where you put your S/R (send return ) in the patch, and where you put your stomps effects, etc. In the patch.

But this way, you are using it like your pedal board

Somewhere on the Internet there is a diagram of what a 4 cable patch looks like

GLDP

Marc, I did a video on this very subject.

Or if you just want to run straight into the front of the amp or into the Amp's FX Return, check this out.

gumtown

Kind of risky buying a new multi effects, not knowing how to use it, and wanting to use it tomorrow for a gig??
Best of Luck, my suggestion, set the preamps to "system" with the system preamps switched "off". which makes all patches have no amp sim enabled.
Then load in or re-arrange 4 good patches and set the GT-100 to 'manual mode' so you can use the GT-100 like a stompbox and switch each effect on/off.

gregg29576

Hey Marc...Glenn DeLaune has some really good info on the GT-100. Also he has some killer patches for really dirt cheap. I bought all he had for the GT-100 and made some minor tweaks to adjust for my own equipment and they sound great. Also check out Boss Tone Central http://bosstonecentral.com as there is some stuff that would probably get you through the weekend until you could get used to the unit.

Good Luck! :rockin

MarcBW

Cheers for all the responses guys, I'll definitely be giving the 4 cm a shot, and I'll be watchin the vids and reading the links this afternoon.

I had heard that the 4cm method wasn't that effective with the fender hot rod deluxe? Who knows, I'll try it.

And gumtown yes it was pretty silly, but I'm that kinda guy, gotta have it and gotta have it yesterday.

I think my main problem is having owned a fender mustang amp. With that there is always a patch of some sort, it's always emulating something and not at all transparent. Matching patch volumes was a real pain. I hated it live and sold it, it's made me weary of all multi fx modellers. I basically don't want any colour to my sound other than effects and with this I'm worried that if I change patches my tone will change somewhat.

I dunno, I guess I'm a newbie to these things, but I'm determined to love it.. I used to have an me-50 so I kind of thought it'd be as easy as that was, loved that little thing besides the nasty OD's.

MarcBW

Hello again guys! Glenn, I watched your videos and they'v helped me enormously so thanks for that.

I have a couple more, probably daft, questions, but I can't find any answers so here goes.

When I connect my GT to my fender hot rod deluxe, it sounds good, but it stops the volume on my amp working, is this normal? Like with the volume on zero sound comes out and the GT's 'output level' is my new volume... :/

I'm thinking i've corrected it correctly (The hot rods effects loop is confusingly named 'Preamp out' and 'Power amp in')

So I've connect Guitar>Input..... L/Mono>Power amp in (Return?)......GT-100 Send>Amp's Input..... GT-100 Return>Preamp Out (Send?)

Sorry to be asking so many dumb questions, I just don't wanna be blowing my amp up tonight haha.

Cheers guys.

MarcBW

Ok so you have to turn the S/R On in the effects chain...

Must. Watch. Youtube Tutorials. More. Attentively.

DGChaos

So, i've just sold my pedalboard and bought one of these on a whim and am fretting massively over knowing where to start with it basically (I have to gig with it tomorrow :/ )
I am very interested to know how your gig went.

Trending Topics