GT-100: Good germanium fuzz?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by music321, Dec 7, 2017.

1. music321

music321 Member

How well does the gt-100 do fuzz? I've read that putting any sort of distortion before the gt can cause problems, so presumably if this is true, the gt can either do good fuzz, or fuzz won't be used.

2. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

I don't think it causes any problems putting distortion before the GT-100. Just listen for clipping or exaggerated compression. If you get either just back off the fuzz output level a bit.

There is a fuzz type stomp in the GT-100 but you will not get anything that approaches a good Germanium Fuzz (Face?). You might get close with the full on sounds, but you won't get it to clean up like a real good fuzz face does.

3. music321

music321 Member

Thanks. Unfortunately, that was my impression from looking at a clip on youtube.

4. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

What was your impression?

5. music321

music321 Member

That the fuzz seemed lacking. It was only a youtube vid, so I took it with a grain of salt, though.

6. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Fizz pedals benefit from being run through real guitar amps. The GT100 is made to work primarily with real tube amps; it is secondarily a direct recording device. Getting the credible sounds DI can take some tweaking.

I bet there is some combination of settings that can get the sound you are looking for.

Post a link to the sound you want to get and I'll see how close I can get.

7. jayman

jayman Member

8. Tito83

Tito83 Member

If the Katana's Fuzz Face model is in any shape or form similar to what is in the GT100, it does not sound good. I don't get why a fuzz pedal in front of it can't sound good, if you set your amp sim right I don't see why it would not work. That said, having tried most the current top tier modelers, Helix is by far the one with the best modeled Fuzz pedals.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  9. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

Yeah, I don't find the GT's fuzz options particularly satisfying. Anybody here experiment with running an external fuzz (or octave fuzz) in the GT-100's loop?

10. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

Just run it on front. Worked fine on my GT-001 when I had one. Just watch the fuzz output level.