• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

GT 12AX7M is "ticking" ....are these all bad tubes ?

r9player

Gold Supporting Member
So far so good over here .. thought I had a bad one but it was one of the Sovtek tubes I had in the amp.
This GT 12AX7M .. to be honest sounds really really good, similar to some of my NOS tubes. Fingers crossed hope I landed a good one!

AL30

Hmmmm? I'm running the GT's in 4 or 5 of my amps - no problems at all. (BF Bassman, Quad Reverb, Metaltronix, Ampeg SB-12, Champ) I've had really good luck with them but I get them from my tech - whom I've known for about 15 years.

AL

Red Planet

I agree they sound good when they work. Not like a Mullard though.

I just have had more bad than good. If I have any that are good. They seem to work ok in every position except V1. Thats when I get the problems is V1. They dont like to be pushed real hard.

For instance in my Tweed there are two AX7's in it. If I stick two of these GT's in it and crank the amp they go motorboating. In my 18 watter they dont sound good in any position. They either motorboat or go microphonic as all get out. I'm running all Mullards in the preamp of it (scary good tone).

In my Lonestar they work great in every position but V1 no matter if I'm playing clean or dirty.

Now thats the ones I have that are good. Some were DOA.

bscepter

Yep, at least one of my GT12AX7Ms went microphonic in less than two months. I'm replacing all of them with EH12AX7s. Lesson learned.

outtahear

Silver Supporting Member
So, what's the deal with all of the efforts of Myles, Aspen, et.al to track down the problem w/so many of these and make headway on QC? Remember all of those promises? Been 60 days, maybe it's time for someone involved with promising us some action on this to let us know how Groove Tubes are doing with the Put up or Shut up? Was it a bunch of ******** after all??? Lets hear it fellas-this crap ain't over by a long shot.....

tacorivers

I'm not a GT-basher, and I actually like the 12AX7-M's. But this quality control issue may very well eliminate GT as one of my suppliers of tubes.

bscepter

I just put the cheap Chinese pre-amp tubes back in my AC30CC, and it all but eliminated this nasty buzz/ring I've been experiencing. My amp still has a dented transformer (which alone warrants its replacement), but I'm guessing much of the problem was down to the 12AX7Ms. I'm seriously disappointed. I've got a trio of EH12AX7s on the FedEx truck right now. They're supposed to be really solid, so we'll see. So much for the $25 GTs.

outtahear

Silver Supporting Member
Wasn't too long ago someone on a Harmony Central thread asked Myles about concerns on Q.C. (or lack of...) issues on the tube in question. After all of the promises of folks in San Fernando and another forum member to get together and deal with the issue, Myles basically stated that there WERE no issues, and it was a case of one or two people getting the rare bad tube, and it getting blown out of proportion internet style. Lotsa smoke blown up lotsa asses. Apparently, nothing is going to change at GT.:( Take your hard earned elsewhere, to folks who are willing to do this right.

bscepter

Too bad. I've had e-mail exchanges with Myles; he seems like a stand-up guy.

Incidentally, those EH tubes sounded very dirty. My amp broke up a lot earlier than with the Chinese no-name tubes. I'm not sure I like that.

Here's what I want: a low-microphonic, sturdy preamp tube that gives me as much clean headroom before breakup as I can.

Any suggestions (besides the usual NOS Mullard, Brimar, Telefunken, Mazda stuff)?

John Phillips

Originally posted by bscepter
Here's what I want: a low-microphonic, sturdy preamp tube that gives me as much clean headroom before breakup as I can.

Any suggestions (besides the usual NOS Mullard, Brimar, Telefunken, Mazda stuff)?
NOS RCA, GE, Sylvania. RFT if you want a fatter tone with more gain.

Those ones aren't expensive.

Why the resistance to NOS? When you factor in the life expectancy they aren't even any more expensive than new-production and might even be cheaper, apart from the more hyped brands, and they just - at least IMO - flat-out sound better too.

I'd love there to be a modern-production tube that was as good - even at the same prices, because then we wouldn't be now using up the last remaining good tubes that have ever been made. Buy them now while you can.

bscepter

Originally posted by John Phillips NOS RCA, GE, Sylvania. RFT if you want a fatter tone with more gain.

Which of those would you suggest? These are going in an AC30CC that's played near max volume. I need something that can take a pounding without going microphonic. And, as I said earlier, I would like something that breaks up a little later.

I'm not resistant to NOS tubes, per se -- I'm just resistant to some of the pricing ($100+ for Mullards, etc. I even saw a Telefunken ECC803S going for $699!)

MLG8675

Wow, I can't believe how long this thread has gotten! I can tell you that of my gt 12ax7m's none have gone bad, but I'm not sure I'll buy anymore.

go7

Heck at $24 a pop you`re into nos territory. And you can have a real one that sounds good and lasts.My.02 worth.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
I ordered 3 12AX7M from an Aussie dealer.

The dealer supplied 2 mentioning that one was faulty-the fact that they tested new tubes prior to posting makes me think that they'd had trouble before.

Anyway. Put the two I received in my amp and got ticking after a few hours. Pulled them out the ticking went. Pity, they were sounding good before the ticking started.

Blue Strat

John Phillips said:
NOS RCA, GE, Sylvania. RFT if you want a fatter tone with more gain.

Those ones aren't expensive.

Why the resistance to NOS? When you factor in the life expectancy they aren't even any more expensive than new-production and might even be cheaper, apart from the more hyped brands, and they just - at least IMO - flat-out sound better too.

I'd love there to be a modern-production tube that was as good - even at the same prices, because then we wouldn't be now using up the last remaining good tubes that have ever been made. Buy them now while you can.
YEAH! (what he said):AOK

I can't believe this thread has hit 14 pages! ROFL!

Blue Strat

bscepter said:
Too bad. I've had e-mail exchanges with Myles; he seems like a stand-up guy.

Incidentally, those EH tubes sounded very dirty. My amp broke up a lot earlier than with the Chinese no-name tubes. I'm not sure I like that.

Unless tubes with normal characteristics make your amp break up more than you like, the Tung Sol "Reissue" 12AX7s are quite good and reasonably priced.

S. Hawk Ltd.

Blue Strat said:
Unless tubes with normal characteristics make your amp break up more than you like, the Tung Sol "Reissue" 12AX7s are quite good and reasonably priced.
Those Tung Sol RI 12AX7's are very, very good!

Hard2Hear

I totally agree on the Tong Sol RI's. I triede them and liked them so much in my /13 that I put them in all my amps!

xcycle

I beleive you are speaking of Bari Litchauer. I bet You may have mixed Marie Nofsinger's(I think thats right) name up with Bari's:jo

Eric

GuitarsFromMars said:
Scumbag does have a valid point-if this particular tube can have a corrective process in terms of either manufacturing or engineering,I might try another one-Bari Nofsinger down here in Palm Bch,FL-she's an EE as well as an excellent amp tech and said she sent back a batch(50-100 tubes)after extensive testing and attempts to use them for her clients-she said the readings that she was getting on her gear were flawed and spoke with GT and the said they would be addressing the issues-it might take 6-12 months to 'fix' the problem...?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom