Gt El34m

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sinasl1, May 12, 2006.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Hey all,

i picked up a quartet of GT's new Mullard XF2 reissue and I love them in my /13 LDW. They definitely Have a great complex forward mid character, lots of harmonics, and are more exciting than the JJ E34L's that were in there (Fred taccone's comment was "those just have more going on"). they are worth a listen! The E34L's are maybe a little tighter, but I like the M's better...

2. bryan k

bryan k Member

i was wondering how these would sound....thanks for the feedback!

i tried the New Sensor el34 mullard-reissues....and didnt care for them that much. but i LOVE the Ruby El34_BSTR................................

3. hipfan

hipfan Member

I have a pair on the way from Doug's Tubes to try in my DST. The NOS (well, formerly) Tesla EL34's I have in there right now sound friggin' great, but I'm always open to new options. :AOK

4. 85db

85db Member

I also tried a quartet of GT EL-34M's and was impressed. I did notice, however, that they had to be biased very carefully and mostly by ear. If biased too hot they get grainy and fuzzy. Mine ended up sounding the best at around 65% dissipation -- your mileage may vary. The do have a lot of mid and I sometimes have to dial it out a little. The top end, especially in the high registers of thin strings is SUPERB. Overall, they sound warm and sometimes even spoungy. Having said that... DO NOT discard your Winged-C's! They stand their own ground as they provide EXCELLENT modern type of sound. Winged C's are tight and balanced. I think anybody should be able to find good tone between a set of GT EL-34M's and Winged-C EL-34's. I'll use both.

5. myles111

myles111 Member

For those of you that know Billy Yates, he has a bit to say about them in comparison to his reference Mullard XF2 originals and compared to the XF4 New Sensor reissues.

For those who were at the May 13th L.A. Amp show, the vintage 100 watt Marshall 1/2 stack in the GT room had a quad of these in it.

In any case, GT is currently out of stock on these.

6. reeves amps

reeves amps Member

Where are these tubes made? Any ideas on when they'll be back in stock?

Bill

7. 85db

85db Member

Last I checked with Todd Richards of Revolution Guitar (cis50todd@yahoo.com) he had GT EL-34M's in stock.

8. myles111

myles111 Member

These are made in China at the Shuguang plant on tooling we developed.

I do not know when we will have stock again ... maybe call Patrick at GT at 1-800-459-5687.

9. hipfan

hipfan Member

Doug Preston at dougstubes.com had some in stock last I checked too. I just got a pair of #7's from him. I'm testing the M's against some NOS Tesla EL34's (70's or 80's) that I have, in my DST U34-CL. (an amp I'll have at Chicago Tonefest, btw)

I should have some tone reports this weekend.

10. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Can you define "complex forward mid character" for me?

11. mmorse

mmorse Member

I can't speak to the El34Ms but I do have a pair of Shuguang EL34Bs in my Marshall Jubilee. Best new production tubes I've tried including the New Sensor Mullard reissue. Very toneful tubes and holding up just fine so far. And they are very cheap!

12. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Hi Doug,

what I meant was they sound richer and fuller and a little more pushed through the mids, whereas the JJ E34L sounds a bit more scooped in the mids. They also have more "harmonic content" as a result, i.e. harmonics and overtones seem more pronounced, making things sound a bit more lively and complex. Notes actually seem to take off into feedback easier, almost like there is more "gain" in the poweramp. This is what both Fred Taccone and myself noticed, and his quote was "those tubes just have more going on". Nothing wrong with the 34L's though, they were ok too and in my opinion are the best new production 34 I've tried recently, until these... I haven't tried the JJ KT77 yet though.

13. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I tried a set of reissues recently, but I can't remember what they were?:confused: Whatever they were, they sounded great but didn't last very long, say about 20/hrs. I may have been running them without enough bias. This was in my Aiken Sabre. Haven't tried the GT version, but I love the Chinese EL34B, so if reason follows the GT might be a sweet option. But anything with a Mullard name, that is quite a history to copy. :crazy

14. hipfan

hipfan Member

Alright, so these things sound pretty darn good so far in my DST U34. They don't sound anything like the other Chinese EL34's I've tried, which seem to have a lot of top end and output. The M's seem to have more moderate output and a tame top end. I'm also finding them to be *very* sensitive to bias setting - much moreso than any other EL34 I've used.

For instance, the U34 runs around 440V plate voltage. Most EL34s sounds really good around 30-35 mV with this amp, despite that being a little bit "cold" by common Internet standards. For reference, I play at "band" volumes. I crank the amp up pretty good, with the amp using most or all of its 50 watts.

The M's, however, sound kind of lifeless and underpowered at a cooler bias setting. Very ordinary Wind them up to around 40 mV per tube, however, and things start happening! The sound is very smooth and musical. Very balanced tone, with a full midrange. It's a startling difference in tone and response, actually.

They might be a tad lower output compared to other EL34's I've tried, but, on the other hand, that might just be the smoothness making me think that. I'm not sure.

Testing will continue!!!

15. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Probably made in China, but who cares? Eventually, ANYONE can learn to make things right.

We have them in stock.

16. 85db

85db Member

Yes, they are made in China in case that's important.

17. hipfan

hipfan Member

E-yup. As long as they sound good and last a good long while, they could be made in Dirkadirkastan for all I care. :eek: :D

Well, maybe not Dirkadirkastan. Those dudes are nuts!!!

(Gary, that's the finest acting I've ever seen.)

18. mmorse

mmorse Member

Well, my curiosity has gotten the better of me again. I just ordered a pair. I have real Mullard XF1s, 2s, 3s and 4s so it will be interesting to see how close these are to the real thing.

I have some GT 12ax7Ms and they came very close to my real Mullard ax7s for tone. Problem is, one was bad out of the box and 2 others became excessively noisy after just a couple of months. I have 2 others I've been using in my little 18 watter and they have held up so far and sound VERY close to real Mullards in that amp. They aren't as convincing in my Marshalls but my little plexi clone seems to like them just fine. It's a new production amp. Maybe that has something to do with it. We'll see how long they hold up.

19. 85db

85db Member

I had the same experience with GT 12AX7M's. Had to exchange 2 or 3 because they became noisy/microphonic. One interesting thing about them is that when you fill all of your preamp spots with GT 12AX7M's alone, the amps doesn't sound too exciting. I must throw in some GT 12AT7's and sometimes JJ's to make it good... My understanding this is not the case with real Mullards.

20. mmorse

mmorse Member

I had them in V1 and V3 in my 18 watter. I now have an Amperex in V1 but still have the GT in V3. The amp is now less dark with a sassier upper midrange. I just had one GT in V1 of both my Marshalls and they were darker and more sterile than the real thing. Didn't have that magic mids thing going. I haven't found a substitute for real Mullards in either of my old Marshalls for the V1 slot. I dunno, old Marshalls and Mullards just seem to go together. I'm hoping I will be more successful with the GT 34Ms. It would be nice to have a cheaper alternative to the real deal. Not banking on it though.