1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

GT "substitiube" rectifiers

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Andy H., Nov 28, 2004.

1. Andy H.

Andy H. Member

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It should be fine with an amp like that. The only problem would be if the B+ voltage went up above the filter cap rating, but that's unlikely since EL84 amps have fairly low B+ (under 400V) and the caps are probably 450V types. You won't have to worry about changing the biasing since it will be cathode biased.

It should tighten up the sound a bit. Maybe not drastically, and probably not noticeable below full volume. My Mesa Maverick has a tube/solid-state rec switch, and you really can't tell any difference at normal volumes - only when it's really cranked.

3. Andy H.

Andy H. Member

Thanks Gents!
    Where else could you come and get such words of wisdom from 'Angels' and 'Devils' alike.:cool:

Andy.

4. Andy H.

Andy H. Member

I guessed that, and was just referring to the quote. And though Johns a bit of a high flyer, I didn't spot any actual wings when we last crossed paths. ;)

Thanks again,

Andy.