Guess I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dughaze, Dec 18, 2009.

1. dughaze

dughaze Member

First off, I love good hard rock to high gain sounds playing classic 70's and 80's rock. So I bought a Scumback H75, 65 watt speaker this week and replaced a c90 Black Shadow speaker in a Peavey 112SX open backed cabinet I have been playing and gigging with for about a year thinking it would improve things dramatically. I am using a Crate V30 head and I play an Edwards LP with an awesome Suhr Aldrich humucker in the bridge into this rig. I thought I would get this oh wow feeling when I installed the Scumback but I'm not. It is no better sounding than the C90 speaker in this setup. It is about the same.

So what am I overlooking? the cabinet sucks? It is particle board so is this my problem?

I bought this Peavey 112SX 1x12 cheapo convertible cab several years ago when I started gigging out to use instead of my Mesa 2x12 Recto cab because it is so damn heavy.

Will I get the oh wow thing going on if I get a Lopoline, Avatar, or some other higher quality 1x12 cab either closed or open backed?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Two things.

1. You are used to the sound of the 90.

I have used a Boogie BS 90 many times. They are great speakers.

2. Scumbacks take a long time to break in.

3. dughaze

dughaze Member

Thanks. The C90 does seem like a great speaker.

4. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

The C90 excels at the tone you're seeking

5. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I think it's the open back cab. Do you still have the Mesa 2x12"? If so, man up and take it to a gig and see if you go "wow". If so, throw that Peavey cab in the river and look for a nice closed back 1x12" cab.

6. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I would also say that a closed back cab for what your looking for is the way to go.

7. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

It may just not be the right speaker for you. It happens. I tried the 100 watt version of the scumback H75. Great speaker, but just not right for my application.

8. dughaze

dughaze Member

Yes, I do have that 2x12 and I really like it but it's overkill at these rinky dink gigs. I think you may be onto the problem. Now that I think about it I always like closed back cabs better but I keep wanting to use open backed cabs and combos at gigs for better sound dispersion. I need a good 1x12 cab. I know, I may go convertible but I don't want any rattling when I turn it up either so I'll have to think about that. Sorry for the repeat threads but the topic intrigues me.

The real problem is my budget just went to hell because of cutbacks at work. That's why I keep asking the same questions over and over trying to make sure I do this right when I get the chance or I'd have bought one of each cab long ago.

I dig your youtube equipment videos by the way.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  9. JimmyB

JimmyB Silver Supporting Member

Sounds as though you had one of the good C90s. Having gone through a half-dozen of them myself, it seems they come in two flavours: sweet and clear or nasal/honky... even after break-in. I've hung onto the one that's truly sweet and another that's a bit honky, but gotten rid of the rest.

If you've got one of the good ones, hang onto it! Even if you rotate it in'n'out of various cabs over the years, you'll be glad you kept it. :D

10. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

An M65 scummie might suit you better, but there's nothing wrong with a good Mesa C90.

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks!

I have one of those Guitar Center Egnater 1x12" cabs and it's pretty darn cool. Has a port on the front that increases the low end. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna take this 1x12" cab over my 4x12" or anything crazy like that, but I do like it for rehearsals and stuff. I'm real happy with it. They're reasonably priced too.

12. dughaze

dughaze Member

Well then, this is good news. I didn't think about that. I am so busy concentraing on the Scumback and cab I missed that. The more I think about it the more I do like the C90. I am thinking maybe it would sound good in a Theile cab. I'm definitely keeping it.

I plugged the Mark IV into the Scumback this morning and it sounded really good. It is a great speaker.

13. dughaze

dughaze Member

I think the H75 is good. I just think the cab is too woofy or at least I need to hear the speaker in a better cab before I know what the speaker is really doing. I'm seeing the Peavey 112SX go for $50 on Ebay. It is an okay cab but that's about it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009