Guess the amp?

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by ultrevex, Jun 5, 2006.

1. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

I dont expect anyone to NAIL it, but would anyone care to guess what style amp/cab I used to record this clip with?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=553963

Guitar was an early 80's Greco Lawsuit era Les Paul, bone stock. No fx, post recording eq, compression, etc..... just a mic.

2. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

ummmm... somthing like an old Kalamazoo or Gibson 5 watter.

Don't know but it sounds pretty good.

:JAM

3. anyone

anyone Member

nano through a blue?

4. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

exceeded bandwidth...............

5. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Try the new link in the original post.....

thanks

6. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Pretty good guesses so far. It's not a vintage or boutique amp and the speaker is a Celestion, although not a blue.

7. Lution

Lution Member

epiphone valve junior.

8. granite

granite Member

I would have guessed an Aiken (Intruder?), but you said not BOO-TIQUE. Is Aiken considered boutique?

9. anyone

anyone Member

Smokey through a greenback? Schmaoke anda pancake...?
    (Nice playing btw!)

10. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Thanks for the compliment, I was just whipping out some dirty rock stuff that seemed to fit the tone. I dont remember playing that sloppy....damn digital recording must have messed with my mojo! Yeah, that's it.....

Funny, I have a smokey and also just got a valve jr. and neither one can get nearly this gritty , thick or dynamic.

I'll reveal the big secret probably later tonight, want to make sure anyone who wants to get their guess in has the chance.

To my ears, this particular tone lies deep in Marshall territory, especially with a Les Paul.

The cabinet is an old Marshall single 10, one of the ones that went with that little SS micro stack from the 80's. The speaker is a G10-35, I believe. It's not real efficient but it sounds very sweet, especially on the upper mids. Very much like a super broken in 10 inch greenback.

11. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Champ or you're trying to fool us with one of those Roland Cubes, maybe even a Ruby.

12. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

The mystery amp is: A Vox VR30 'Valve Reactor' hybrid combo. Musicians Friend was blowing these out for $149 a while back. This is the design that uses a 12AX7 in the power amp stage, which really yields a nice 'old amp' feel when you crank it. This tone was achieved with the dirty channel... gain up, master up, channel volume up and bass/treble controls both rolled pretty far back. This thing's tone controls, especially on the 'straight' channel, are really voiced in a traditional Vox fashion where pulling back treble not only rolls off highs but makes the mids more pronounced. The whole thing has a lot of natural feeling/sounding compression and sensitivity. The internal speaker is worthless. I just stumbled on the combo of this amp and the little Marshall cab, it's a great recording rig. Actually, I've gigged the amp several times paired with a good, oversized 1X12 cabinet.

Thanks for playing!

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

I was going to say Pignose.

Usually when you see these threads someone is trying to fool everyone by hoping that the respondents will all say รท by 13 or something equally absurd.

Best, Pete.