Guess The Bandmembers

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by lhallam, Aug 21, 2005.

1. lhallam

lhallam Member

Recorded by permission in an NYC club in the '80's. I was sitting at a table in front and couldn't believe was I was witnessing.

What interplay!

Although not household names, all musicians have made a name for themselves.

Mystery Group

Anyone care to take a guess?

2. KLB

KLB Member

Bill Frisell?
    Harvey Schwartz?
    Bob Moses?

3. lhallam

lhallam Member

One is correct. This was when Bill was relatively unknown and I think, living in NJ.

He was using an SG thru a Yamaha DD which he was constantly manually changing the settings on, sometimes mid solo. I don't recall the amp except that it was a small combo. I don't think he had any footpedals.

Although he employs feedback and squelches the volume was not that loud.

I'm waiting for Muddy to name the bassist. The drummer will be the toughest to name.

4. muddy

muddy Member

hahaha!!!! i'd recognize that hi-hat work anywhere, considering the guy & i played with each other more than we did in any other git-drum combo!!! that's dougie. and the bassist, whom i've known even longer than dougie, i'll let someone else guess... :cool: the band is stone tiger, btw.

ml

ps...i forgot, you won't know who "dougie" is; dougie bowne, the lounge lizards' drummer for 7 years (the 1st go-round), iggy for 3 (tv party, chris whitley, jack bruce's "question of time," m faithfull, ryuichi, john cale, it's a bloody long list.

pps...oh yeah, & bill was playing through the e. harmonix 16sec delay back then.

5. scottl

scottl Member

So obviously Percy on bass. Very unique style!

Nice post Lance!

Scott

6. lhallam

lhallam Member

O-o-o-o So sorry Muddy, not Dougie.

The only effect I saw Bill using was the Yamaha digital delay.

You've got mail.

Yeah Scott that is Percy Jones on bass. I had the very good fortune to meet him. My partner and I booked them at a club called The Fives in Manhattan where we were booking bands in the '80's.

The first show was a packed house but we could only pay the entire band $200. (Long story). We booked another show for them and once again all we could pay was $200. Though no fault of my own, I've always felt very bad about it.

OK gents, still awaiting on the drummer. First hint, I'm pretty sure he is American.

7. scottl

scottl Member

Drummer would not have happened to have played with Herbie??

8. muddy

muddy Member

hmmm, not dougie, eh? sure sounds like him. michael clarke WAS the original drummer, scott. damn! who replaced dougie? i don't remember...

ml

9. scottl

scottl Member

Yea Mud. I did not really hear any Clarkisms in there. I cheated on that one! Although, I immediately did recognize Percy (having been a total Brand X fan!)

Edit: Upon further listens, the grooves around the 1min mark do sound like Mike Clark.

Scott

10. lhallam

lhallam Member

You got it.

Mike Clark, played with the infamous Headhunters among many others. Hmm, didn't know he played on Brand-X "Do They Hurt?" release.

What drumming!!!!

So recap:

Stone Tiger
    Percy Jones - bass
    Mike Clark - drums
    Bill Frisell - gtr

Recorded on a Sharp casette recorder at "The Fives" on Jan 28th, 1983. One of the shining moments in my life.

11. scottl

scottl Member

I have live Mike Clark and Paul Jackson with Robben sitting in all night. Killer shiite. Fred Wesley too.....

12. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Thanks, man. I've always wanted to hear ST, and actually limewired 'em just a couple days ago (to no effect).

Think Matte saw 'em in NYC the same year (same show?).

13. lhallam

lhallam Member

Dunno. My first contact was when Percy did a gig in '82 at "My Father's Place" with a gtr player from another group we booked called "Noize 'R Us" (love that name).

Then we booked Stone Tiger twice at The Fives, this recording is the 2nd gig. I'd have to find the date on the first gig but that was very well attended. We worked hard to get the word out. I think it was the debut of Stone Tiger.

Then there was another gig at "The Other End' in April of '84.

If Matte was at any of those shows, I was there. He couldn't miss me, I was the guy wriggling like bait on a hook.

14. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

A disturbing enuf image, to be sure, and one he's hopefully long since blocked out.;)

15. muddy

muddy Member

ya mean lloyd? that was my friend mickey ortiz's (rip) band. percy was their bass player.

ml

16. lhallam

lhallam Member

Wish I knew Muddy. He was fairly tall, played a blonde strat and had a unique approach. Jim Matus maybe ? - just looked him up, think that's the guy.

Paranoise

I remember the demo 'Noise 'R Us' sent to us and really dug it.

From his bio, it says he's played with Percy as well as splatt.

We booked a lot of bands. I have some recordings of "The Randy Coven Band" from this time frame as well.

17. muddy

muddy Member

ah right, jim was the other guy. he played a fretless guitar, didn't he?

ml