Guess what I pulled out of my vault?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DiPa, Mar 30, 2015.

1. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Folks,
    I was doing a clean up today and found an attenuator, it's the THD power Attenuator, 16 ohm Blue, still in its original box, never been opened, has a price tag on it of $329.
    I know nothing about attenuators.
    I bought it about 15 years ago when I had purchased one of my marshall Amps, the idea was I would use it in my bedroom. Never happened.
    Question is, is this a decent attenuator? Compared to all the other models I have been reading about here, where does this one stack up?
    Should I sell it, or use it?
    Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. sleewell

sleewell Member

how on earth do you expect us to be able to determine from this post if you should sell or keep it???

do you need it?

why don't you try it first to see if you like it?

if you like how it sounds and think it would be useful for you i would keep it. if you don't then maybe consider selling it.

3. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

A LOT of people use those and really like them. Not sure how it compares to the newer attenuators on the market but it's a solid unit.

4. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

For many years, the THD attenuator was the best. There are some that equal it, now, I'm sure.

5. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I use my 8ohm regularly, even at very low volumes. At that point it takes some EQ changes but worth it IMO as it's a ton of fun to crank tube amps late night.

6. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

You've had it for 15 years and you've never taken it out of the box and you're asking us if you should sell it?

7. DiPa

Thanks, I am looking for this sorta info, given 15 years have passed, is this Attenuator still considered by others. And given I have never used an attenuator previously.
    And given the broad base in attenuator technology today, how does this compare, you have given me some insight, Thanks.

For anyone who feels that my thread is not to their liking, you need to learn to use the Delete button on your computer and not respond. Don't feel that you must answer every thread. Especially if you are pissed off, then just move on to another place.

8. DiPa

Thanks friend. Sounds like it's a decent unit and I should explore it.

9. DiPa

Yeah thanks to know this. I am keeping it.

10. DiPa

You miss the whole point about TGP friend.

11. DiPa

You don't have to answer anything or respond, so why do you torture yourself?
    If this is silly to you, move on, there are a thousand other posts and threads.
    There are many here who are willing to help in any way. Please spare me all this hoopla.

12. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

From what I remember of researching attenuator options a few years back, most of the higher end units started getting developed to achieve more transparency than the market standards, the THD Hot Plate series and the Weber MASS stuff. There was some reverence for the AirBrake stuff too, but the Hot Plate was sort of the standard. The Ultimate unit came out, then the Alex, Aracom, Faustine, etc... all semmingly improving on the earlier standard for clarity/transparency. The Hot Plate remains several generations back in that lineage of (supposed) refinement.

13. sleewell

sleewell Member

hahaha. sadly, i guess you are right.

if the point of tgp is to ask random people if you should keep something you bought and never used without actually trying it first then yes i have missed the point.

if everyone told you they hated it would you sell it without actually ever trying it to see what you thought?

all i was saying is you should try it first to see if you like it instead of worrying what others on a forum thought. But i guess what i am learning is that the point of tgp is figuring out ways to avoid actually playing guitar and just to talk about owning gear which hopefully meets the approval of strangers.

14. rsm

rsm Member

Keep it another 15 years = firm antique status = instant mojo for toob amp users of the future.

ka-ching! $$$$$

or not.

:dunno

15. DiPa

I see, attenuators have progressed, and maybe mine ain't so far behind, I will check it out, I am sure if it has color in the tone, I will quickly move to find a transparent unit. Thanks.

16. RockDC

RockDC Member

If you have an amp that is really loud then I'd use it. You'll never get your money back out of the attenuator so try it. I like THD's about as much as any other attenuator. I prefer master volumes.

Personally I'd sell after I gave it a good try... It may be new old stock but unless you are a retailer you are still gonna get used pricing when you sell.

17. DiPa

My question was more on where does this unit stack up against the units of today. And given I have no attenuator experience, I wanted to hear from others here. The sell or keep part was the last question. Asking TGP for advice is very normal and that's why I am here. Yes asking strangers about technology in an area they know more than me is just plain real.

18. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

What changed was the technology behind the units- the Hotplates used tech not unlike what had been used in the past while the newer breeds usually attenuate down to a signal then re-amp with a solid state amplifier. The new ones probably sound better, I dunno, but I love my Hotplate and do not feel the need to change.

19. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Depends on what your expectations are... you need to try it out. Just about all attenuators will sound OK within the first two or three clicks... it's when you want to go to bedroom levels that the more expensive attenuators ($600+) outshine the less expensive ones.

And... if you're going to use it with one Marshall, and no other amps, then a PPIMV is an alternative, and WAY less expensive, option even if you have a tech install it. ~$10 in parts and an hour or less of bench time. (And it's reversible...)

20. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

The THD is excellent attenuator for knocking volume a bit (-12db) max. It's not so good for bedroom, real low volume stuff.