Guidance Appreciated! (Tele Content)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Alpione, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Hey folks...

Long-time solo/duo acoustic player and got into electric just 6 months ago when I was recruited to play in my first band (at nearly 40 years old). Went with a PRS SE 245 as a starting point based on various "great guitar for the money" recommendations. And it is...

However, I'm a big guy and failed to take into account the scale length. Very short scale at 24.5" and I get cramped on higher frets. I'm also finding the stock humbuckers can get pretty muddy pretty quickly. Great for some of our music, not great for others.

That brings me to full-scale Fender single-coil world. I've always gotten right hand tangled up in the controls while playing a Strat, so thinking Tele is the way to go. (Though sure I could get used to the Strat in time.) We play a lot of classic rock kind of stuff - everything from Bowie to the Dead to Pretenders.

There's a ton of Tele options, of course. Bajas have caught my eye and are interesting for the array of sounds and a big neck. I could also get used American Standards for under $1000. Opinions between those two? Anything else I should be looking at under $1k? Anything with a slightly wider nut spacing along with the full-scale length? That would be perfect.

Food for thought appreciated! I'm going through a Tweed Blues Jr..

Thanks...

A

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Try them out. Do the standards have the modern C neck? If so, it's pretty small.

Alpione likes this.
  3. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Baja, and you'd be hard-pressed to do better at the under $1000. Actually, in my opinion, the best options are a Baja at under $500 used, or a '52 AVRI at about $1000 used. Both really killer guitars.

Alpione and Baxtercat like this.
  4. Alpione

Good call - yes, you're right. May need something bigger.

I would have definitely jumped on a used Baja if I saw one for under $500, but I'm not seeing anything out there under $600. Very possible I'm looking in the wrong places. :)

Thanks..

5. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

The Baja is a great value!!!

That being said, you were complaining about getting crammed at the higher frets, the Baja being a 21 fret isn't going to affect you is it?

Alpione likes this.
  6. Alpione

It's not really the number of frets but the distance between frets. Being longer scale and having "only" 21 frets will prob be perfect. Thanks.

7. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

You've got a winner there. I'd actually pick the Baja over an American Std any day due to the features and value.

songtalk, Alpione and Baxtercat like this.
  8. sksmith66

sksmith66 Supporting Member

from the 12th fret onwards the difference in the distance between frets on a 24.75 and a 25.5 inch scale instrument is .022 millimeters. and obviously that distance gets smaller every fret.

you will be "cramped" at either scale length .02 millimetrrs doesn't fix that.

9. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

After about 50 years in the game as mainly a Strat player, the Baja Telecaster changed my outlook on Tele's. Never previously found a Tele useful for me but I accidentally ran across a Baja at my local dealer and it had to come home with me it sounded and played so well.

However, I wouldn't give up on a Strat either. It takes a while to find a good one and you eventually get used to its layout.

Nice to have both a Strat & Tele though as either does things the other won't do. However, while I feel the Strat is a bit more versatile, the big tone of my Baja Tele is amazing.

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Alpione likes this.
  10. Alpione

Thanks. The PRS is 24.5" so even slightly shorter than the Gibson 24.75, but point taken. But every little bit helps. :) And when I play my 25.5" acoustics it feels like a big difference. Kind of like the difference in nut width between 1.75 and 1.625 on my acoustics. Seems miniscule but feels big.

11. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

Yea, I'd have to agree, go play a Baja. Best bang for the buck in the entire Fender lineup IMHO. However, you have to like what it does, ie 3 barrel saddles, vintage tuners, etc.

The good news is you have a good budget to find a great tele, especially if you consider used. You just got to play them and see what speaks to you.

Alpione likes this.
  12. Alpione

Yep - I think the Baja is definitely the frontrunner here. Just borrowed my band mate's standard '93 MIM tele and really enjoying messing with it. Baja should be a good step up.

Even the wife supports a new purchase since I'm actually playing out with it rather than playing around the house. Can't let the wifely approval opportunity pass! :)

13. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

Yea, the neck on the baja is so much better, imho, than an mim standard. Plus the pickups are way better.

Alpione likes this.
  14. Alpione

Not being one to wait... Incoming! Thought I was going blonde, but went burst instead. Sweetwater has it at 7.6lbs, which works for me! Arrives on Tuesday.

Where are you in Atlanta? I grew up in Buckhead but live in Alpharetta now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]