• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Guidance on buying an acoustic guitar

CWK

Don't neglect the prospect of getting him a quality classical guitar. Perhaps just not where he's leaning. But I've been playing all types of guitar for many years. As much fun as I have with my electrics, the guitar I love the most and feel helps me grow is a classical guitar.
Not forgetting the classical. Perhaps in a year or two.

CWK

i think that you should get him a less expensive guitar because spending that much money is crazy on a 12 year old...how rich are you lol.
but if u really want it you might as well get this baby.
http://www.music123.com/Breedlove-Focus-Premier-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-512439-i1172223.Music123

OR

http://www.music123.com/Breedlove-Focus-Acoustic-Guitar-With-Case-512438-i1175238.Music123

i would just reccommend getting this tho for your son.

http://www.music123.com/Breedlove-A...stic-Electric-Guitar-512403-i1147737.Music123

or any other breedlove out there.
Strangely, I was first recommended Breedlove when I was looking to purchase an electric guitar.

CWK

FWIW my son tried Martins, Larivees, Gibsons and Taylors. He ended up with a Taylor 30th anniversary XXX-MS despite trying higher priced Martins and Gibsons.

Thanks again to all for their assistance.

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Martin D-28 Marquis
Either the Indian Rosewood version new for around 3000 or the madagascar version for around 4000 I believe...

There are dealers out there who are great and you can pay 60% of the retail price.

CWK

Would have bought the D28 Marquis in a heartbeat if he liked it more. It was his favourite Martin....... but he liked the Taylor more. As soon as he picked up the XXX-MS, I knew he liked it much more than the Martin. I asked the shop to put it aside and made my son play most of the Martins in the shop the next day, as well as Gibsons, Larivees, and other Taylors but his mind was set. There were no Lowdens, Collings, Breedlove or other makes recommended in that shop or they would have been in the mix as well.

I think the XXX-MS's shorter scale length had something to do with it. He said he liked that the strings were softer than the Martins. He also said that he liked the clarity of the XXX-MS, and said that it was easier to play high up the fingerboard.

I note that the primary woods for violins are spruce and maple. Perhaps not a coincidence that he chose the same combination for his guitar.

JJK

$5,000 guitar? Wow, I'd suggest getting him a nice 'lower' priced Martin or Taylor or something. Maybe a D-16R which go for $1,699 and has all solid woods, or a Taylor 414CE with the cutaway, electronics, and solid woods also. Go to Guitar Center or your local shops, and try out everything.

JJK

One more thing, after the $3,000 range with guitars you're just paying for fancy cosmetic things or special woods. There really won't be that much difference between a $5,000 guitar and a $2,700 guitar or whatever in tone. The $5,000 one will just be fancier looking.

One more thing, after the $3,000 range with guitars you're just paying for fancy cosmetic things or special woods. There really won't be that much difference between a $5,000 guitar and a $2,700 guitar or whatever in tone. The $5,000 one will just be fancier looking.
depends on who built it...seen the prices on braz back and sides,lately?

CWK

You seem to be leaning towards a D28, but I also think the OM or 000's are a great consideration. Some suggestions to check out:

Spruce top, rosewood back/sides
OM-28
000-28
OM-21

Spruce top, mahogany back/sides
000-18
OM-18

There's many variations of most of these models, for more info see this link:

http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/size.php?z=d
He did check out every D in the shop from D-15 to D-45 together with a fair sprinkling of 000's & OM's. On my own I would have just bought him a D-28 Marquise ........ possibly even the D-42 figured mahogany.

CWK

$5,000 guitar? Wow, I'd suggest getting him a nice 'lower' priced Martin or Taylor or something. Maybe a D-16R which go for $1,699 and has all solid woods, or a Taylor 414CE with the cutaway, electronics, and solid woods also. Go to Guitar Center or your local shops, and try out everything.
Wasn't about price. The most expensive guitar he tried was the D-42 figured mahogany but he didn't choose that. Ultimately it was not directly about woods either. I was happy that he was able to explain the reasons for his choice and his reasons (playability and sound) seemed right to me.

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Please note that the Martin can get a better setup and strings to play just as friendly as a Taylor.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom