1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Guide me to a cool vintage microphone

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by stekks, Jul 23, 2006.

1. stekks

stekks Member

A very dear friend of mine is battling breast cancer, she sang in bands before and to get her mind off of things she decided to get back to singing taking lessons etc.

She is, like me, a fan of all things vintage. I like to buy her a cool looking vintage microphone (thinking of mid 60's to mid 70's era). It has to sound decent at least and has to work without phantom-power.

Can anybody guide me to some models so I can scrounge ebay?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you.

(although this isnt the emporium, if you might want to sell me such a mic, please feel free to PM me)

2. alphadynamic

alphadynamic Member

thinking maybe a sure SH-55, the classic Elvis type mic, which is dynamic, i.e no need for phantom power, the come in at about 150 pounds in the UK so I would imagine they cost about 200-250 Euros.

If your thinking used dynamic mic, depends if you want it for looks, or performance. Dynamics from the era you mention are not much different in looks from todays mics, however, performance wise, without buying an older valve or condenser mic, technology today is far better.

I have an old AKG dynamic which at the time was an expensive item, but compared to todays (cheaper!) models, is no where near as good in terms of performance.

See the link for the sure

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_55SHSeriesII_content

I have performed a few times with this mic, and you get a nice old style quacky mid. I have used it for recording some rock n' roll parts too. If nothing else it puts you in the "elvis" mood.

3. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I had used some Beyer ribbon mics back in the 70s. They were rectangular and sounded nice and warm on vocals. I don't remember the model number but they have a bit of a vintage look.

4. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

5. sears

sears Member

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

7. elambo

elambo Member

+1 The reissued Elvis mic.

8. alphadynamic

alphadynamic Member

Thats a great idea by sure, as the sh-55 dont like my big loud monitors.

9. brad347

brad347 Member

The coolest looking and sounding mics in my opinion are the old RCA ribbon mics. They are a bit fragile so be careful but they are amazing.

77-DX
    44-BX
    74-jr.

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

If you want something that looks truly vintage but sounds better, Heil makes a chrome plated version of the "Elvis" mic that is absolutely gorgeous. Evidently it uses the kind of chrome plating that looks like it's a mile deep, like you find on new Harleys.

The old RCAs go for a lot of coin on the vintage market.