Guide me towards the good dirt!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by D Rock, Feb 1, 2015.

1. D Rock

D Rock Member

You guys have done a great job before when suggesting a rat. Absolutely love it. Now I need a few different flavors. Looking for something to cover the higher end that that rat can't(maybe muff territory).

Have been looking into the Scarab Deluxe. Only concern is being too bright with my strat and laney.

Also looking at the BD-2, new BOG fuzz face and BAT Pharaoh.

Any other suggestions? Price isn't too much of a factor but would like to pick up a few more flavors of dirt for under 400 bones. What ya got?

2. D Rock

D Rock Member

Forgot to mention I have a tube screamer(bad monkey), joyo ultimate drive(ocd) and have had a deluxe big muff(great pedal, may buy again).

3. King Rat

King Rat Member

Higher end as in more treble? more gain? or more refined sounding?

4. D Rock

D Rock Member

Gain. Would like something that gets muffish without all the muff. Yeah that makes doo much sense. Pharaoh?

5. Kelly

Kelly Member

Get a better amp.

6. D Rock

D Rock Member

If I wanted to post in the amp section of the forum, I would.

7. King Rat

King Rat Member

The Pharaoh is great! but not the most gainy.. maybe a little more that your rat...

The rat has a lot of gain, and even though there is a lot of fuzzes out there, the more gain they have the less they tend to cut through in a band context like the rat does...

I'd get somehting far out to stack into the rat if you want More gain and are reasonably happy with the rat.

As for Muffs, without the muff downfalls check out what Skreddy has on offer, they DELIVER the goods!

8. D Rock

D Rock Member

Thanks for the reply! That's sort of what I'm thinking at the moment. Maybe a FF or something to stack into the rat for higher gain.

9. akagilligan

akagilligan Member

Building off the rat

Tube Screamer in front

or

Klon in front

or

Russian Muff after

or

Timmy after

or

a ge/si mini bone and see where you like it and what you can get out of it (my first pick)

10. Stone Driver

Stone Driver Silver Supporting Member

Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz will take you from Jimi to Floyd circa "Sorrow" tones, can get exceptionally nasty while staying tight and focused, no bass flub unless you want it to. Very tweakable fuzz, but not hard to dial in to get great tones.

Fair price point, very versatile pedal with a lot of gain on tap IMHO. Gilmoursh has some good demos and review to check out.

11. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

See my Sig: Gain Changer->Rat->Timmy

GC can be used for it's own bread of high gain, or as a Tubescreamer for the classic TS->Rat stack. Plus the GC is pretty damn good as as low or mid gain drive too! Timmy after Rat really helps to clear/tighten it up and make it cut.

Basically I can't fluff the GC enough, I think everyone should have one in their tool kit as a swiss army knife.

12. D Rock

D Rock Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I see you also run a Scarab Deluxe. No love for that? Its been on my radar for a while but I've never tried a tone bender so just not sure if it's for me.

13. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

Oh tons and tons of love for the Scarab Deluxe! I was more like building off of akagilligan's suggestion to build off the Rat you already have. Give your Rat the ole double team from front and behind!

Honestly, between my 4 dirt pedals, I'm a happy camper and my dirt GAS has been exhausted (for now...) Tons of versatility and stacking combos between these 4 bad girls!

14. D Rock

D Rock Member

Thanks guys, I have some good suggestions to look up thus far!

15. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

The Wampler Leviathan gets mentioned here hardly at all, but is a pretty useful pedal. It is very high gain, but not Muff-ish. If anything it is more of an extreme distortion than a fuzz (although it's called a fuzz), and it will cut through a mix. Doesn't need to be stacked with anything.

16. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Great suggestion. Mine was to say Klon front Rat middle Tim back, but you got that covered.

17. oxtone

oxtone Member

After trying like 30+ boutique OD pedals the last number of years, I have finally settled on the Barber Gain Changer as my go-to OD for ALL gigs now. It is truly that good, and will never leave my board. And the price for it is fantastic!

18. scolfax

scolfax Member

I think the Mr. Black Thunderclaw is awesome. When compared to a RAT on a dirty setting, I think the Thunderclaw has a richer sound. And the controls make sense.