Guild Acoustics v other majors

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Jimboshappy, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Jimboshappy

Jimboshappy Supporting Member

Shopping acoustics with fair Martin & Taylor experience behind me. Any insightful descriptives of Guild F series as compared to Martin, Taylor, other popular dreadnoughts? Sound, comfort, style leaning, etc?

While I'm here, what about spruce on maple v other popular combinations of top / body construction?

2. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

I have a GUILD CV-2C, which is one of the Tacoma-built Contemporary Series. It is based on a F-40 body style, and has a cutaway and D-TAR pickup system. It is well constructed of Adirondack Spruce (top) and flamey maple (back and sides). Mine has the antique sunburst finish, which is quite beautiful. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]
    (It is not nearly that red in person).

It sounds very good, but QUITE different from my mahogany dred (Collings D1A), which is not surprising. Plenty of volume and bass, but is definitely not a cannon like the D1A. It also has much less midrange response than the dred.

As far as comfort and style, the Guild is more comfortabe to play than the dred, but I really intend to play it mostly plugged, standing up. That is primarily why I bought it- as a 'stage guitar'. It would not be a suitable replacement for the Collings, or my Martin D-28, and isn't meant to be.

I have owned two Taylors, but traded them years ago. Working from (fallable) memory, I would say that -IN GENERAL- the sonic profile (if you will) of the Guild is much closer to some Taylors than it would be to the classic Martin sound.

I have owned one other Spruce/Maple jumbo- a Goodall. The maple definitely has a distinctive sound- bright, 'sparkly', with good projection, and a nice tight bass- not boomy at all, and lacking excess overtones.

I like this particular Guild because it plays great, has a good acoustic sound, and really shines when plugged in. I have only had it a couple of months, so I imagine it will sound better as that Adi top opens up.

There are many other Guild players that have more experience than I - this CV-2C is the first Guild I have ever even played. In fact, there is a forum dedicated to Guild guitars, which may of use to you.

www.letstalkguild.com

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

my mate has owned a high end taylor for years, he used my newly purchased guild d-55 at church the other week, and it was so different.

the taylor was quite bright and had very high mids,
    the guild is very balanced accross the lows, mids and highs, making it quite balanced and consistant.

im starting to sound biased toward guild....... oh, but i am!!

4. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

My acoustic duo partner has a Guild DV-52. It is a HUGE sounding, well balanced dread.

Guild has built...and continues to build great guitars.

5. bunuel

bunuel Member

Both the dreads & F-series sound amazing, easily the most undervalued vintage guits on the mkt, in the case of those built pre-fender. I'm partial to the boom of the f-series! We know that the pre-fender guilders sound great & are built to last (my 40yo 12 string sounds better 'n ever). But that can't be said for the offshore chinese-made 'uns, because there's no track record. 'cept for the labor abuse in china that's been so well documented.

6. Bob V

Bob V Member

The maple bodied D-30 has a character all it's own. The back is slightly carved (or steam bent/pressed as it were) but only one piece without any back bracing and without a center strip. Mine seems to have a balance from top end to bottom as opposed to the heavy bass you can get from a rosewood dreadnought. I've seen some that were made with a mahogany neck with a light reddish brown natural finish on the neck that's very unusual and contrasts with the maple body, or curly maple necks like my '94 (which would seem to be the last year they made that model in Westerly RI; by the time production of that model resumed in '97 I believe that would've been Tacoma under Fender ownership). I've always coveted my brother-in-law's Martin D-35 but then I pick up my Guild and I feel better again.

7. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Have not played one of those new fangled Fender Guilds can't comment on their quality or sound. I have heard the Tacoma-made guitars are excellent though. But I would take a Hoboken or Westerly-made Guild over a post-69 Martin or a Taylor any day of the week.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  8. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

I have seven absolutely amazing Westerly era Guilds... built from '73 - '98. Never thought I'd own this many acoustics, but when quality/price are this good & the spec. options all over the place (from tone woods, body styles, 12 vs. 6 strings, etc.), these guitars are hard to resist.

If you are looking at the newer F series... like the F40, I've only played a couple, but they were stellar. Guild is going through changes again though so try to snag one made in Hoboken, Westerly or Tacoma if you can... they're manufacturing is heading to CT now anytime.

9. davess23

davess23 Member

As others have noted above, Westerly Guilds are under-appreciated gems on the vintage market. They stack up very well for sound, quality and playability against the Martins and Gibsons of their era, and can still be had for short money. Get 'em while you can, kids.

I don't know much about the new Guilds, but from what I've seen of them I'd just as soon find a good old one for less money.

10. plaintop

plaintop Member

The '70s Guilds are incredible guitars for the money.

11. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

To begin with the quality and tone of the US made is every bit as good, if not better, as Martin, Gibson and Taylor. Usually you can get a new Guild for half the price of a Martin of similar model and quality.

Where Martin is rather bottom heavy and Taylor could be said to be treblier and to some ears even thin, these two brands could be said to be takes on a similar theme. The Guild leans more to Gibson, a tone that is fat and involving. more so than a Gibson yet clearer and sort of more powerfull than Gibson too.

Often I find Guilds to have almost a truck-horn type of sound; it kind of goes baat-baat with lots of attitude. In other examples comparisons can be made with bell like tones.

Early Paul Simon, prior to and during the Simon & Garfunkel era he played the F30 as his main instrument and even was endorsing the brand and appeared with it on posters. '80s and early '90s Suzanne Vega can also be said to be a great showcase for the Guild sound.

Of all the different eras of Guild I would avoid the Corona made instruments unless you actually have an opportunty to play a Corona you're looking into. The Tacoma ones are every bit as good as the Westerlies - so I hope the CT ones will turn out.

If you have the money I would recommend taking a closer look at the Contemporary series instruments which are truely special to my ears.

12. soulohio

soulohio Member

man...I wish i could find one of these old Guilds you guys are talking aboot...I did find a 1987 sunburst D30 but I thought at $1000 it was a bit too much...but everytime I go into the music store and don't see it on the rack I am haunted.

13. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Here's a '73 D-40 for the ridiculously low price of $950 from one of the Guild forumites, just FYI-

http://www.letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8747&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Think D-18 on crack.

14. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

No affiliation with this seller except I bought a '98 Guild DV6 from him a little while back... first class all the way. If I was looking for another dread, I'd be all over this 73... $950 is a steal for that.

15. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Also bear in mind Tacoma made Guilds are on sale now and you can land a brand spanking new instrument for prices used ones go for.