1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Guild archtop "reissues" from the '90s and '00s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nmiller, May 20, 2011.

1. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Gold Supporting Member

Just a point of semantics that's been bugging me lately: I see a lot of Starfires, X-175s and X-500s from the last 20 years described as reissues, but I thought Guild never ceased production on those models. Am I correct? I know it's nitpicking, but it piques my OCD to call something a reissue when the original issue never ended.

2. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

All the ones built in Westerly are RI guitars.

3. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

i can get the dates for you, and GAD (or another Guild lover in the know) will likely chime in soon, but Guild did cease production of most if not all of their electrics from early 80's to 94-95ish IIRC. The Westerly Guild electrics as Stevie said are reissues. Starfires, Bluesbirds, S-100s, and alot of the larger bodies archtops (X series) were reissued. Side note, they are super super guitars, save for those with the HB-1 reissue pups, which arent terrible just not up to snuff compared to their vintage predecessor. Those with Duncan pups are super top to bottom.

4. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Tapeworm - I was looking through some old Guild catalogs to find the answer, but the last one I had access to was 1986 and it still had the X-500 and SFIV so I wasn't sure. I agree, the recent ones are superb.

5. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I don't think of them as reissues at all.

RI=Rhode Island.

6. stevieboy

You got it! Actually, Stevie just make dumb guitar geek joke. :bonk

But Guild has a history of changing all the time. I personally don't think that the later Guild electrics were really reissues, I think they just resumed production. Maybe that's just semantics, or splitting hairs, but if those are reissues then every Les Paul made from 1968 on is also a reissue.

I think reissue as such are guitars where a maker who has changed things about a guitar over the years picks a specific year or period and puts out a version based on that, and calls it a reissue or similar--even though, as we know, they often aren't necessarily that close to the original, and sometimes incorporate features, colors etc never found on the originals.

To atone for the bad pun, here's my Westerly Starfire with a twist that I like to post from time to time here--

[​IMG]

7. tapeworm

The Guild electrics liek the S-100 and M75 Bluesbird ceased production in the late 70's so those I could see being considered reissues. The othyers are referred to as reissues, but the cease time for production was only 10 +/- from stopping production to reissue so it was probably more of a selling point for them as "reissues".

8. tapeworm

NICE! I have been tempted to put some P-90's in my 69 SFIV Burst, but I just can't bring myself to mod it from it's original state, i had a natural colored SFII reissue that was a super guitar. Miss it to this day.

9. stevieboy

I wish they'd resume production again on some of the models, I wouldn't care what they call them!

My Starfire is stock btw, Starfire III-90 is the model name, only made for a short period, started I believe not long before the sale to Fender, mine was made in Westerly during the Fender years, one of the last Westerly guitars.

10. tapeworm

AGREED! I need a BBird reissue with P-90's, block inlays and a sick flame top like 2 years ago! The Corona Custom Shop models are hard to find.

11. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

This picture keeps me awake at night.
    MD

12. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Yeah Tapeworm is right on. He's got good, reliable sources. :)

All Westerlys are not Reissues, though I know the Hoboken-lovers like to think so. :)

The reissues are really very different guitars. Here are some differences off the top of my head:

Originals vs. Reissues

Lacquer vs. Poly
    HB1s vs (usually) replicas
    1 5/8" neck vs. 1 11/16" neck
    Block vs. dot inlays (depending on model)
    Tuners are different
    Also the body depth of semi-acoustics varies by year, even within the same decades.
    and so-on.

Each guitar his its own tells. The guys on the LetsTalkGuild forum obsess over these details for their favorite models. I tend to know Starfires and S300s, while there's another group that knows every detail of the S100s. Tapeworm's in the Bluesbird and M75 camp these days, and other guys know everything about Archtops.

And then there's Hans. He just knows everything when it comes to Guilds. He literally wrote the book on them.

So yeah, I consider them reissues. Any reissue has a very different feel than the 60/70/80s models.

13. tapeworm

i acutally have 2 Starfire IV's and only one M75 Bluesbird Reissue...for now! :p my GAS is consuming me more and more daily for a nice vintage Burst M75. Treem got the one I wanted!

14. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I've had a few 60s 70s and some 90s guilds including a starfire 3 a 4 an x500 a x175 .. Some of the earlier ones had better pups but all of them were killer guitars and as good as anything from the other "g". Wish they still made em.

15. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I didn't know you had two Starfires. Man, I'm so out of touch. :)

I can't fault anyone for Guild GAS. Lord knows it's sucked me in.