Guild Bluesbird P90?????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by M@tt C, Feb 19, 2006.

1. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

I stumbled across one today used at the local GC.....I've been jonesin' for a P90 LP type guitar for a while, and this certainly was an intriguing find. Some slight scratches below the p/u selector, but otherwise in excellent shape. I spent a few minutes playing thru a crappy solid state amp, and was really impressed. Did some e- research when I got home, and found out the particulars as to construction and materials, but not a lot of other info.

Anyone out there in TGP land playing these? Opinions for use in a classic rock context?

It's tagged at $799, though I know they'll work with me....

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Great guitar! At $799, it's a no-brainer. :AOK

3. boog204

boog204 Member

really cool guitars and a nice price... i always hated the guild vol/tone knobs though. they feel so cheesy to me.

4. Badger71

Badger71 Member

Buy that sucker! NOW! Really good price...especially if it's a Rhode Island manufactured piece. You may need to swap out the pickup selector switch as I've heard they can be a little "iffy" but that's nothing. I almost cried when I was too late on buying an emerald one with P90s about a year ago.

5. Rich

Rich Silver Supporting Member

Badger

Ive seen an emerald P90 popping up more than once recently. Keep your eyes open-- I think last time it was on FDP.

6. kccheers

kccheers Member

I recently bought the one that was both listed here and on the FDP, from GP member telecopter. It was the Emeald Green one. It is a KEEPER! I definatly would suggest taking a hard look at it and maybe they will deal on it.

Cheers from kC

7. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Senior Member

Would that be the red one at the Montrose store? If so, I played that one for about an hour unplugged one day. It's a very nice playing guitar. I almost bought it.

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

That particular model (P-90s) has a following. Ya know it's got a hollow body, don't ya? Very nice combination. I like that fat neck they come with. Grab it! AC

9. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

Yep...that's the one!

10. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Blusebirds are underrated. Really fine guitars for the dinero.

11. crimson on pink

crimson on pink Supporting Member

i want an old bluesbird so bad. haha

12. Rama

Rama Member

Be glad I did'nt see it. Buy it!

13. Robotechnology

Robotechnology Supporting Member

About 5 years back I went in to the store to by and Ibanez Universe 7-String and walked out with a Guild Bluesbird AAA instead if that tells you anything about how good they are!

14. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I was really GAS'ing for a Bluesbird late last year as an alternative to an LP & tried to research them as much as possible, but I never did find one that fit my budget at the time. Not a whole lot of info out there on 'em. I like that the body is bigger than an LP so it would look more...well, "normal sized" on my 6'5" frame. :) Did the neck have dot inlays (unbound) or trapezoid inlays (bound)? I believe that the earlier Blues 90 (pre-Bluesbird 90) had a bigger neck on them which might've been from the Songbird acoustic guitar. Either way they're fantastic looking guitars & at $799 I would've snatched that thing up in a heartbeat.

15. jeffcoop

jeffcoop Member

I have the Blues 90, with the somewhat bigger neck (though it's not Gibson baseball bat-big) and the dot inlays. I'm not a huge fan of the bridge pickup, which is pretty hot and aggressive; I'll be swapping it for a Lollar with a more vintage tone. What made the guitar irresistible for me, though (aside from the fact that it's a Guild--I have two Guild acoustics that I love), was the neck pickup. Just a really sweet blues tone. I plugged it into a Fender Blues Jr. at the Guitar Center where I found it and instantly had exactly the blues tune I was looking for.

16. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

UPDATE: Well, after finding out that the government was going to be giving me back a nice little chunk of change for the 2005 year I decided to go back on Saturday and snag the Guild.

Uh oh..........GONE! Sold that morning, according to the "dude". The only thing comparable left is an Epi Gold Top, and it just wasn't doing it for me.

Crap. Double crap.

So, my wife and I end up going to the GC in Westlake to see what they may have. Same as the store in Akron- just an Epi Gold Top, and it has some wiring issues.

Crap again.

I resign myself to the fact that I missed out on a killer guitar, and to satisfy my p 90 jones I was gonna have to roll the dice and order something from Musician's Friend, or E-bay, or going with an Edwards/ Tokai/Agile LP copy. I've always been very leery of buying anything without playing it, but it looked like that was my only option.

Ugh.

On a whim today I decided to take a trip up to East side of Cleveland and check out Sam Ash before I started to re- troll E-bay/ Musician's Friend/ etc.

Would you believe that hanging on the wall was what HAD to have been the twin brother of the Bluesbird I had seen in GC last week? It was more $$, but aside from a little bit of fretboard gunk it was immaculate. It played even better, and after wheeling and dealing I took it home for $300 less than what they wanted. It wasn't as good a deal as the GC piece, but it still fell into the "pretty darn good" range.

I'm happy now....:D