Guild D-20

COYS

Last weekend I played a Guild D-120CE, which is part of their Westerly collection, and I was very impressed with it. But wanting to buy a US made guitar if possible, my thoughts now turn to the Guild D-20.

Has anyone played a Guild D-20? Any opinions on them, or of the current incarnation of Guild in general?

I'm really itching for a D-shape that's all mahogany. Any recommendations? Would you ever spend good money on an all-mahogany acoustic?

Thanks!

tapeworm

I haven't played the current D-20, but I am interested in knowing about them first hand as well.

I will say that I have owned 4 vintage M-20's and 5 vintage D-25's and would without hesitation spend good money on an all hog acoustic. I preferred the sound of these guitars to the D-50 I owned. Just something unique about the tone. I'm not much of an acoustic player so I can't really put it into words. But a good all mahogany guitar really stands out tonally in a sea of great acoustic guitars.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
love my chinese m-20. near perfect instrument. better, actually, than the 4 u.s. m-20's that i have owned.
and i liked all of 'em...

davess23

Gold Supporting Member
I had an all mahogany Westerly D-25 for a while many years ago and it was an excellent guitar. It had a nice sound and a great medium C shaped neck; I always liked Guild's dreadnought necks better than Martin's.

I don't know the new Guilds very well, but at least for now it's possible to find the old ones for much less money than old Martins. And they're up there with the Martins in terms of quality, unless you're specifically seeking the Martin sound.

swiveltung

... they have a new guitar that they are cheating the Westerly name into? Nothing better than a real Westerly Guild for me. There seem to be plenty around.. hmmm... mahogany...

Trending Topics