Guild Dearmond Starfire Special worth trade?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EricGay, Feb 8, 2012.

1. EricGay

EricGay Member

Ran into a local guitar shop today and saw a Starfire Special in Antique Burst in very good condition for $500. I sat down and played it and loved it. I've been having GAS for a hollowbody and the Starfires looked cool to me...

I have a handful of pedals that I'm trying to get rid of (BB Preamp, AC Booster, DD-20, some old Boss Pedals) as well as an Egnater Tweaker 15 Head that I'm also trying to move. Do you think it would be worth my while to see if I could trade some of the gear for the Starfire, or would I come out in better in the long run actually selling the gear and making dough off of them?

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Starfires are consistently great guitars. Dearmond Starfires can be inconsistent. If it's Korean, it can be great. If it was made in Indonesia, it can be not so great. $500 is about the right price for this model.

As with all guitars though, if it sings to you, buy it. Can't help you with the trades. I my experience, if you're trading with a store, you'll need to be careful or you may wind up on the losing end of the deal. I'm not a fan of trades, preferring to sell outright to raise cash.

3. EricGay

EricGay Member

Thanks for the response. It's Korean made. If I can't move some of my gear, maybe I can talk them down on the price a little. Great avatar, by the way.

4. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

The Starfires might be hit or miss, but the DeArmond Starfire Specials are consistently good Korean guitars. Great sounding tones from both pickups. $500 is about top price right now, but is an OK price if it comes with the OHSC. I don't think you are going to find a better sounding and playing guitar for that money. Here is a picture of mine, stock except for roller bridge that I put on:

[​IMG]

Derwood likes this.
  5. EricGay

EricGay Member

Yep. Identical to the one I'm looking at. I think I'm going to swing by and pick it up in about 1.5 hours. Beautiful guitar.

6. tiagop

tiagop Member

Beautiful guitar. May I ask what bridge is that you upgraded to?