Guild F47 or Yairi FY95?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by cbmccarthy, Jan 23, 2012.

1. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

I've got leads on both guitars. I can get the Guild for about $1,200. I can get the Yairi for $1,100. Both are in excellent condition.

Has anyone played both of these? I've played an F47, but haven't played the FY95. I don't think I can go wrong on either one. Right now I'm leaning toward the Yairi.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I love Guilds as much as the next guy, but $1200 buys a bunch of great acoustics. I'd really hesitate to buy unless there's a really good return policy, since acoustics are such a personal choice with a lot of differences between them. However, on specs alone a minijumbo rosewood with sitka top makes for a nice recording instrument for sure.

3. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

True, I understand that logic. My line of thinking, though, has me leaning toward an American-made acoustic, and the Guilds that friends have owned (1 Westerly, 1 New Hartford) blew me away. I've been wanting a Guild for some time.

Do you remember how much F-47s sold for new before the New Hartford models came with the price increase? Now they sell for between $2k and $2.4k new, it seems.

4. terrapin

terrapin Member

IMO the Guild F-47 is one of the finest Guilds ever made. So comfortable to play, and very loud and balanced for a smaller bodied guitar. I had a Tacoma built F-47 and sold i, but it was a very nice guitar. $1200 for an nice American-made acoustic is NOT alot of money!

5. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

Then, I've got one Yes and one Maybe (?). Who else has an opinion?

6. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

Reworked the thread. Anybody want to chime in? I'm seriously GASing for this Yairi. I think I might do the deed tomorrow...

[​IMG]

7. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

They are both great guitars. Gotta go with the one that sounds and plays best for you. The F-47 neck might be chunkier than the FY95. You didn't say what kind of body wood the F-47 was. If it's maple, it'll likely be brighter sounding than mahogany or rosewood. At the end of the day, it's a personal, subjective thing.

8. jackbart1960

jackbart1960 Member

:agree

But the some of the new Ct. Guilds are crazy nice. I've had a new D50 knawing at me for awhile. Great guitars!
    Peace. J.J.B.

9. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

Thanks for the thoughts. The F47 I'm considering has rosewood back and sides. It's the same with the Yairi. The only major differences between guitars are body depth, bridge construction, and the fact that the Yairi has an ebony fretboard whereas the Guild has rosewood.

The neck size isn't really an issue for me no matter the shape and size.

I'm still leaning toward the Yairi, though. It seems like a true steal at that price. The Guild is from their Tacoma operation, which gets great reviews, but I'm not sure how much they sold for new back then. I seem to remember Fender having blowout deals on them new from around $1,400. I know that's the exception, but $1,200 isn't that enticing, comparatively speaking. I don't think the F47s went up to the $2.5k ballpark until the New Hartford factory opened.

10. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

I own a '79 Westerley Guild F412 which is amazing, but I have to say that one of the top 3 guitars I've ever had the pleasure to play in my life was an Alvarez Yairi DY-91. Impeccable craftsmanship, gorgeous lush sound, and played like butter. At the end of the day, go for the one that you think you still will be wanting to play years from now. I used to own a Lowden F32-C - incredible guitar. However, its clarity was so precise that it was unforgiving and made my clams stand out even louder than usual, so I eventually sold it.

11. ronster

ronster Member

I love my 1982 Yairi DY-60. $300 pawnshop steal back in 1990...

12. GA20T

GA20T Member

Of all the acoustics I've owned (Guild D40, Martin d35, Gibson j45/songwriter to name a few), the Yairi dy84 I owned was by far the most responsive, balanced, and fun to play. It was extremely light and rigid and the action could be set up like that on an electric. So easy to play. I'm actively trying to get that one back. My absolute favourite acoustic guitar, bar none.

13. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

Deal fell through on the Yairi --- anybody got one of these FYM95s or know where to find one?