Guild Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bacton, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Bacton

Bacton Member

I was just watching a video of Jack Whites new band, the Raconteurs (great stuff too) and I saw the second guitarist using a guild with p90s. It sounded amazing. I havent looked much into guild guitars but they seem to be good players guitars without alot of hype. Does anyone know what that guitarist was playing and if there are any other good p90 guilds?

2. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

Guild used Franz pickups on most models until the early '60's. These were similar in size & shape to p-90's, but didn't sound the same. I love 'em, wish i owned a guitar w/some, but alas...later, Guild issued some bluesbirds & a starfire model or 2 w/seymour's versions of p-90's (much more Gibson-flavored), still great guitars. You're right about the brand not having as much hype as the 2 other "G" brands (haha, veiled reference to Gretsch), i absolutely love mine for jazz, jump blues, & roots rock, ymmv. as far as j. white's new band, sorry haven't seen it, but i suppose that if yer interested in Guild's get one now while the prices are relatively low, we know what white did to Airlines...

3. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

In the late 80s I bought a chambered Guild Nightbird with an ebony fingerboard, flamed honey sunburst finish, and gold hardware. Great guitar except for the EMG pickups which I never cared for.

4. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Yup, great guitars. My '54 X-440 with the Franz pickups is terrific, and very distinct from either a Gibson or a Gretsch of the same period. The recent Guilds with P90s (Starfire III-90, etc.) are less distinctive, but are still great versions of the classic P90 hollowbody box. The Blues 90 is very cool, too.

5. c_mac

c_mac Member

I love Guilds. It's really too bad Fender ruined such a great brand.

6. bobgoblin

if by ruined you mean deciding Guild should stop building electric guitars & develop a line of chinese made (i'm sure they're great) acoustics...well, i agree. my '01(?) x-150d is a killer guitar that i believe rivals any other jazz box twice the price. just my opinion, though.

7. dmkozak

dmkozak Member

I keep looking for the word "temporarily" in your post, but can't seem to find it. FMIC said in the fall of '05 they would TEMPORARILY stop building Guild electrics and that they would begin constructing them again in the fall of '06. Apparently, they're deciding whether to build the Guild electrics alongside the Guild acoustics at the Tacoma facility or where the Guild acoustics used to be built at the Corona facility.

8. bobgoblin

sure, its temporary they say, but until they come back...besides, as a response to a previous post stating:

"It's really too bad Fender ruined such a great brand."

my response fits: it was Fender's decision to discontinue building these electric guitars (probably because they would offer direct competition to the then recently acquired Gretsch brand). to me, that means Fender decided to scuttle a fine, American-built brand to beef up another. Shame on them, even if those new Gretsch guitars are superb instruments.

Also, you'll note that I stated that I thought Fender did a fine job of building Guilds in Corona (where mine was built) because *I* think that the admittedly few Corona Guilds i've played were stellar examples of modern, mass-produced jazzboxes.

9. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

hey Dmkozak where did you hear that they were supposed to start the electric line again(I am not doubting you on the contrary I am happy) maybe I will be able to find the one guitar I have been looking for a x-160 rockabilly, I have 6 Guilds they are all Bluesbirds/90's built in Rhode Island and in Corona, none of them were the Nashville built.
    Your guys opinions if I were to get a x-170 where can I get the closest pickup to a Dearmond 2k to replace the humbuckers and would fit (sort of like the phat cat duncans)in it to sound more like the x-160.
    Thanks

10. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I have an S-300 that is wonderful.

11. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I'm the proud owner of two Guilds, a mid 70's S-100 and a 2000 Special Run X-170T. Both guitars are top notch and their prices are still good. I too wish Fender never killed the electric line but hopefully they will bring them back and have them made in Cali not China.

Thanks,
    Sam

12. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have owned three Guild electrics, a 67 Starfire III witha bigsby that was one of the best electric guitars I have played, even to this day; very versatile and sounded and played great (sold it during a stint of drug induced poverty:messedup).

I had a Starfire IV that rivaled any 335 I have played, I had it Buzz Feitenized and never re-bonded with it... major mistake :messedup number 2:jo.

I now have a 70's X-500. Stellar playing and sounding guitar that has all of the apointments of a Cadalac.

I really like Guild guitars and I hope Fender brings them back and does justice to them.

13. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I would love for Fender to bring back the Starfire V and VI with a factory Bigsby!!!!!

14. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

:drool

Me2

15. bobgoblin

bluesbirds...well, what w/the lawsuit gibson brought against prs denied, we can *hope* that they will. i've always wanted one of those lil buggers...w/p-90's...mmmmmm

16. dmkozak

dmkozak Member

Except that FMIC never acquired the Gretsch brand. Gretsch is still owned by the Gretsch family. FMIC has an agreement to design and distribute Gretsch guitars (and presumably, amps, but I don't know about the Gretsch amps). FMIC receives a design fee and a distribution fee for each Gretsch sold to a Gretsch dealer. Gretsch earns the income, less what is paid to FMIC, for each Gretsch sold. However, FMIC actually owns, lock, stock and barrel, Guild. So, FMIC would make all the profit on every Guild guitar sold. If it was strictly money, it would be in FMIC's advantage to make and sell as many Guild electrics as possible.

17. dmkozak

dmkozak Member

In the fall of '05, FMIC issued an announcement to their Guild dealers that they would cease production of the Guild electrics for about a year until they could relocate the production facilities. I think the electrics were still being built in Nashville, altho no other Guilds were being built in this facility. And, FMIC wanted to relocate the "line" so it could be built in a facility which FMIC had invested to upgrade the production set-up. If there was enough space and time, possibly Corona. Or, if the acoustic people could build the electrics, possibly Tacoma.

I don't know if a decision has been made, or what is currently happening. I think Corona is out of the picture because of the high demand for custom shop Fenders. I would guess the question is what is required to relocate the Guild electric production to Tacoma and how long will it take to get such production up and going.

FMIC was asked by Guild dealers if FMIC plans to concentrate solely on Guild acoustics and the answer was that FMIC did not buy Guild to kill Guild's historic electric line. FMIC told Guild dealers it wanted to re-establish Guild as a top-flight electric line-up. I don't know of any reason not to believe this won't happen.

18. jeffcoop

jeffcoop Member

[​IMG]

Mmmm is right. I've heard lots of rumblings that the Bluesbirds are coming back, but nothing specific. Here's hoping--they're great guitars.

19. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

"Temporary" could be a very long time. I have zero faith in Fender, which appears to be trying to turn Guild into their own Epiphone. Ironic, given that Guild was formed out of the remnants of Epi, when Epi moved out of NYC in 1952.

20. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I motion Jeffcop [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do hope they bring back the real Guild line, I know Gretsch is on par with them and everything(Fender has shapen up their line a bit a least my 6128t-1957 did not have a 3 piece back like my 6114 lol or a 2 piece one like the SG Supreme I just sold:FM . I guess I would rather have an American guitar than a Japan one anyday even it isnt quite as hip if it is just as good.