Guild Starfire III?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Laroosco!, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I have a friend who has one of these guitars from the 60's. He is going to be selling it in a couple months and asked me if I wanted dibs.

I've been gassing for a hollowbody Gretsch really bad lately. I was thinking that the Guild and a TV Jones dropped in the neck(there is an old Dearmond single coil in the bridge) might suppress the gas pains for a while.

Any opinions on these?

2. SOcular

SOcular Member

Grew up in South Georgia, live in Atlanta now, but
    If it is anything like the one I played in a store about a year ago, it is definitely drool-worthy.

Get. it. now.

Sounds great through an almost cranked cleanish amp, if that's your thing.

I haven't played the TV Jones pickups, but I hear very good things about them.

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

This one has the original Dearmond single in the bridge but has a gibsson style humbuccker in the neck. I would have to change that immediately.

I'm gonnna have to start scraping some money together.

4. crazy4blues

crazy4blues Member

Hey, it worked for Buddy Guy. I think that he used the Starfire III on Stone Crazy, and many consider that one his definitive recording. Son Seals also used them (when he wasn't using his 335).

If you get a good price, you might be on to something there! Lot's of vibe in the old Guilds, especially the 50s and 60s ones.

5. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Buddy used one.. :(

I might buy it anyway :D

6. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I don't own a starfire but I do have a 71 S-100 and a 2000 X-170, both guitars are great, most people don't even look at Guild but they are well made sweet playing guitars. Well worth the money.

Thanks,
    Sam

7. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

I think Guild guitars are very underrated axes. I played a Nightbird for years and it was a great playing and sounding guitar with first rate build quality.

8. Phil M

Phil M Member

Son Seals had a really cool dark green one. I would love to have that guitar.

9. ddeand

ddeand Member

I have a '67 Starfire III project and a '65 T-100 (basically, a Starfire III body without some of the binding and pickups). The neck profiles are the same in these two guitars, but the Starfire III has two humbuckers, a Bigsby, and some neck and back binding. The SF III needs a new coat of lacquer, but otherwise is in great shape. The T-100 is beat, but a tremendous hollowbody.

I think the SF III is one of the nicest guitars ever made! I particularly like the neck profile and the weight/feel of these things. They sound great, but what's best is they play great. Besides, they are so cool looking!:)

Compared to other similar guitars (Gretsch and Gibson ES-175s), I like the SF III - it feels better, costs less (great bargain), and is quicker. Kinda like the difference between Jag XK-E and a Corvette - both will get you there quickly, but one is nimble and resonant while the other is forceful and growly. (I can't believe I just made that comparison:rolleyes:

If you can get the Starfire III at a decent price, and if you really like the sound and feel of it - GO FOR IT!

Have fun,
    Dean

10. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

A Guild from the 60s?!?! Buy it, NOW!!

Try the guitar stock, for a while, before you change pickups. Maybe it'll sound better to your ears with new or different pups. Keep the old pickups, though - they are definitely part of the package.

Dunno if it'll quench your Gretsch GAS, but the Starfire III is a way-cool guitar.

Kiwi

11. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I was lucky, my x-170 has filled my gretsch GAS

[​IMG][/IMG]

:dude

12. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

My friend tells me that the guitar sounds great. The only reason I would consider changing the neck pickup is because someone already stuck a PAF Humbucker in the neck. Maybe it won't sound bad. The old Dearmond is definitely staying where it is.
    He said I have until close to Christmas, and he wants $800. I want it bad, plus it has a Bigsby aand I needa guitar with one of those right now.

I'm gonna do what I can

13. coldinWI

coldinWI Member

The one that got away, I had a starfire (II?). It was the one with the single cut away. It was likely late 60's or early '70s. That guitar was the only humbucker guitar that I've owned which had some bite and clarity. It fed back nicely at lower volumes which was kind of cool. The bigsby was nice. The only thing was that it had this cheesy potted bridge, which was not adjustable. Very, very nice guitar. Wish I hadn't sold it.

14. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

I've got a wonderful red '65 Starfire III w/ stock humbuckers and a bigsby that's just so killing! I had to have some work done to it:
    tune-a-matic bridge (yeah baby in tune!), great fret job and tuners (proper replacements), as well I had the pups re-dipped and stuffed a black tee shirt inside to help suppress the crazy feedback monsters).
    but all the guts are straight and I have all the original parts. it sounds really sweet and honkin'. for rock, country, blues, jazz, funk... anything!!
    here's my question... what's up w/ the pups? the bridge is just so awesome - fat and twangy, and the neck is a total woofy jazzbox? :confused: it works and I make it work, but I'm wondering if these pups (at least the bridge pup) fall into the classic filtertron vibe? I'm hoping, cause I'm having a guitar built by First Act. Delia w/ rosewood board w/ a TV'Tron classic in the neck, and either a classic or classic+ in the bridge w/ a bigsby for touring (had enough of traveling w/ the vintage goodz!). hoping it can sort of create that sweet phat sound that my Starfire III bridge pup gives me. any thoughts and/or input would be quite welcome. thanks so much. :AOK