• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Guild T-100 - other similar guitars

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
I've been interested in a vintage Guild T-100 for several years, but the prices have gotten higher and I can't play anything before buying due to my locale.

Are there other guitars old, new, or what have you that would have similar tones?

dewey decibel

The Slim Jims? I was after one for awhile, because the prices were considerably lower than their Gibby counter parts. As far as tones they came with a couple different pickup options, so it depends which ones you're looking at. I ended up with a Kay Swingmaster, it has the kleenex box pickups which are similar to P-90s. But these are old guitars and extremely hit or miss, I put a lot of work into mine (re-fret, sanded the bridge for intonation, re-wired the electronics). For something newer maybe an Epi Sorrento or Eastwood Tuxedo? IDK...

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
The Slim Jims? I was after one for awhile, because the prices were considerably lower than their Gibby counter parts. As far as tones they came with a couple different pickup options, so it depends which ones you're looking at. I ended up with a Kay Swingmaster, it has the kleenex box pickups which are similar to P-90s. But these are old guitars and extremely hit or miss, I put a lot of work into mine (re-fret, sanded the bridge for intonation, re-wired the electronics). For something newer maybe an Epi Sorrento or Eastwood Tuxedo? IDK...
I dig Oliver Wood's tone. Is his a Slim Jim?

dewey decibel

I dig Oliver Wood's tone. Is his a Slim Jim?
I had to google but yeah it looks like it is. T-100D would be the model number, but they also called them Slim Jims. That one has the Mickey Mouse pickups, made by D'Armond IIRC. Basically single coil pickups, kind of low output. I've checked out two Woods Bros songs on youtube but haven't heard an electric guitar yet, but I'm sure someone else will come along with more info. My guess tho is that anything with a trapeze tailpiece, wooden bridge, and low wind single coil PUs will get you where you wanna go.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
I had to google but yeah it looks like it is. T-100D would be the model number, but they also called them Slim Jims. That one has the Mickey Mouse pickups, made by D'Armond IIRC. Basically single coil pickups, kind of low output. I've checked out two Woods Bros songs on youtube but haven't heard an electric guitar yet, but I'm sure someone else will come along with more info. My guess tho is that anything with a trapeze tailpiece, wooden bridge, and low wind single coil PUs will get you where you wanna go.

Check out the video starting around 19:00.

Other tones from their studio albums.

jonahboo

if you like Slim ones....I have a 1995 Epi Sorrento in orange - Peerless (paid less than 550)

also DeArmonds were nice too

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
The new Loar 302T would fit the bill. I'd suggest buying from someone who sets up the guitars, though (we do). I've liked the Loar stuff I've gotten but IMO it needed a bit of setup and fine tuning.

Trending Topics