Guild Thunderbird Amp help/info

openwater

Does anyone know anything about these old Guild Thunderbird amps? I found this one at a pawn shop and it sounds amazing but it gigantic and so heavy. I don't need it at all but I sounds awesome and the reverb and tremolo work and the foot switch does too. It's actually in pretty good shape too. This is a low end pawn shop and they know they have no market for it because they mainly deal in $100 guitars and it's not in the best part of town. Should I go for it? It would literally just sit at my house but it's so cool and sounds great. They have it listed at $1000 but they'd take $400 in cash or partial trades (thinking about throwing my Valve Jr their way and a pedal or two). It's so heavy that it has 3 handles!

openwater

Yes. If you don't want it - can i get it? where is this?
Haha I'm planning on grabbing it. I was just wondering if it's something I should stay away from. It's in TN. If I thought I'd be able to ship it down the road if I wanted to move it, I would have already bought it but it weighs so much that selling online would be a nightmare to ship.

paulg

Gold Supporting Member
That was my first amp in 1970! However, I don't believe mine had a master volume, so it's likely a later model. The pre and power amp were separate. I'd say $400 would be a high number.

phalanges

When tuned-up, these are really cool amps. Nice, thick break-up. with stock speakers, not too loud.
The earlier models had a separate parallel output for the reverb and possibly the trem as well.
If this one has 7591 output tubes, definitely worth $400.

bullet6759

Yes get it looks in good shape will sound better than any Fender! Stop by the web site Lets Talk Guild for all your info.

openwater

Thanks guys. They think it's a 1973 model but they weren't too sure about it because it's hard to find accurate info on these it seems. He thinks some of the tubes might be microphonic but it still sounded great. I'd need a tech to go through it at some point just because I have no clue where to start on it.

Trending Topics