Guilt Free Budget Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wesman61, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I'm looking to pick up a few quality pedals and really don't want to spend $200.00 a piece. I go back and forth trying to justify getting cheap chinese boutique knock-offs but would really like to be able to look at my pedalboard with a clear conscience. I don't care if it's a TS clone but would rather not get a Wampler or PaulC rip-off. I'm looking at delay, TS style, comp, phase, flanger and maybe chorus. I have a BBE wah and a HW Valve Distortion that I'm happy with. Also maybe a boost. I'd like to keep each pedal under $50.00. Just looking for suggestions. Not flame wars.

2. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

I've heard great things about the Digitech Bad Monkey as a TS style overdrive

3. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

For chorus, look up a used Danelectro Cool Cat 18v

4. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

Visual sound drivetrain is a great TS overdrive for very little money, and I hear the other garagetone pedals are good too. Marshall echohead is a great delay for cheap as well.

5. iama

iama Member

All things would point to those Joyo pedals. Inexpensive. They appear to be well made. Demos I've heard sound pretty good.

Remember, there's nothing new under the sun. For example, the most imitated pedal seems to be the TS9, so I don't feel much when a pedal builder produces basically the same pedal for more money. More or less knockoffs. Not all, but some.

Joyo pedals are bought and allegedly rebadged by "boutique" builders with a clear conscience. If they don't kill your tone and are built well, I'd consider going this route. I'm hoping to try a few myself.

6. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Between Boss, EHX and MXR, you could get lots of great stuff for cheap, especially if you buy used.

7. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

I had a ModTone pedal, and it had good built quality and sound

8. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Speaking of Modtone, I was checking these out today. Especially the smaller new Mod-mini pedals. I'm really curious about those.

9. sameoldblues

sameoldblues Supporting Member

BBE pedals are great. So are the (cheap as dirt) Danelectro FAB series.

10. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

For chorus and delay check out the Arion pedals. $40-50 gives boutique tone.

11. Couleurs

Couleurs Member

Delta Labs pedals get good reviews. They're around 50 I believe and they have a TS style OD.

12. ivansardi

ivansardi Member

Ibanez DE7 one of the nicest tapeish delays on a budget.

13. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Joyo and biyang at the two budget makers worth looking at, both have a great range of pedals that offer a lot of bang for your buck

14. Fuzzgun91

Fuzzgun91 Member

For the boost, I recommend the Electro-Harmonix Germanium OD. Its a really unique boost pedal that adds some germanium grit (and fattens up the signal), but keeps the tone of your guitar/amp. If you like your guitar and you like your amp, this should be great.

I think I got mine for about $50-$60 on eBay. Biggest steal ever. I would easily pay $100+ for this thing.

Me and another TGS member were just PMing eachother about our shared love for this thing. Its a shame its such an overlooked pedal. Its weird how an EHX pedal can slip under the radar like this one.

Keep the bias at midnight, the volts max'd and adjust the gain around, for a standard boost. Or! Mess with the volts knob and get some crazy splatty/gated fooz. Its a pedal that takes a while to 'learn', but once you do, you can go anywhere from conventional, to crazy. Fun thing to mess around with. Worth it for the toybox factor alone, double worth it for its amazing sound and usability.

EDIT:
    Here's a demo. Keep in mind, its a boost pedal so it will sound WAY different with your amp/guitar. Mine sounds nothing like this video (it sounds better on my rig, haha).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbdzwuKd4bM

[​IMG]

15. otherface

otherface Member

Here is my full cheap rig...
    Delay - Ibanez DE7, Ibanez EM5, Digitech PDS 1002 (one of the tweakable loopers), DOD FX90

Reverb - Digiverb, Behringer Verbzilla clone, Zoom 508, also the microverb/midiverb racks

Chorus - EHX Small Clone, Ibanez TC10/SC10/DC10etc., Danelectro, Boss CE-2 and CE-3, Boss CE-20 (seen these go for 50-75)

Phase - MXR Phase 90/EHX Small Stone, these are pretty obvious

Flanger - Ibanez FL9 (these often go for 40, which is great for a really subtle analog flanger that is built like a tank)

Trem - EHX Pulsar/Boss TU-2/Marshall Vibratrem (there is a volume prob with the marshall but it has great tone)

Fuzz - Boss FZ-2/FZ-3/HM-2(This can do My Bloody Valentine to full on Death Metal) and DOD FX52

OD - Dano Cool Cat Drive (Sounds just like the OCD), DOD Bad Monkey, Ibanez SD9, Ibanez TS5, Ibanez MC10 (has the old TS chip), Ibanez MSL (my favorite tube screamer)

Distortion - THE RAT!

Wah - Morley Vintage PWO (big silver one), Weeping Demon for sheer number of options

Multi - Line 6 FM4 and MM4 can both go cheap

The dano pedals, the boss half racks, the arions if you can get them for cheap enough are all great too.

And as someone said before, Boss, MXR and EHX are all troves off cool tones. But aside from boss, the best of all in my opinion is Ibanez. The 7 series and 10 series are extremely underrated all around. Just ebay thoroughly and get an app on your phone and you can build a full board for nothing

16. TNO

TNO Member

The new Modtone Mini Mods are nice and don't seem to be direct clones. The Mini-Mod delay is the best I've found for a basic, dry delay that doesn't change tone. It works well with dirt pedals, the range of the knobs is perfect, rugged build and cheap at $45.

17. dulcetpine

dulcetpine Member

just go to ebay and search for the effect you want. sort by price. do a quick youtube search for ones you may be interested in at your price point. decide. play.

18. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

The Dano cool cat fuzz version 1 is as good as any pedal I have ever owned sound wise. The Digitech Hardwire line is just an outstanding value, especially used on ebay. Check out the CM-2 overdrive, the chorus and delay....just amazing and great prices used.

19. willc68

willc68 Member

Do some research as to what you want to go for soundwise then keep an eye out on the emporium and ebay for good deals used.

20. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Very happy with my cheap, yet well-made Biyang (Baby Boom Series) "Mad Driver" (Tube Screamer) and GFS (Biyang) Brownie (a mod Rat) both with clipping options, both $55 shipped....Also love my Dano TOD V.1, and even Dano FAB Distortion