Guilty Pleasures

taez555

Can ANYBODY explain the concept of how one can feel guilty about enjoying a song?

Do they feel that they're not living up to some phony image that they or someone else has manufactured for them?

Pretty much.

It's the reason why we're all here. Like minded individuals who will back you up on your personal prejudices when it comes to music, gear and other things and at the same time will mock those things they don't understand or don't enjoy while feeling a sense of superiority, while inadvertently alienating certain members who for some twisted masochistic reason keep coming back for more. Maybe they just need to feel something again. Life's been hard, a disappointment. Hasn't turned out the way they hoped. So they bury themselves in their work, in substances, in chat, in nothing. It's a sad existence.

But darn it... those upvotes feel amazing when you know other people agree with you that someone else's perfectly good song is junk.

I don't know, I'm not a shrink.

But yeah, it's kind of weird thing.

Last edited:

msquared

Platinum Supporting Member
What you listen to in your teens is always going to have some sort of tribal connection. You're with the metalheads, or the people who like Debbie Gibson, or the bluegrass people, or whatever. It's a lingua franca of this sort of interaction.

So when you like something that isn't part of that affiliation you have to just say "well it's my guilty pleasure, don't kick me out for liking Winger" or something. Not that I ever said that in high school, of course.

If you're having that conversation outside of your teens and early 20s, you're hanging with the wrong people.

MothAttack

Can ANYBODY explain the concept of how one can feel guilty about enjoying a song?

Do they feel that they're not living up to some phony image that they or someone else has manufactured for them?
Never guilty, but recently I muttered, "I'm a closet Ryan Adams fan." Hey, Invisible Riverside is still a good song.

frijoleghost

Silver Supporting Member
i believe it's about social pressure and the desire to be "cool"...how you look, act, the music you listen to

if you're a hard rock dude, you're not supposed to like neil sedaka, for example...if you actually totally dig breakin up is hard to do, you feel guilty about it when you think of your judgmental zep-head friends...

Strummerfan

I've never felt guilty about my musical tastes, but I do recognize when a song I like is actually crap and there is no reasonable justification for why I like it. I have no problem with the odd turd making me smile, hell, when I was young I used to love those 7-Eleven Chilli dogs, not the ones that rolled on the rollers, the prepackaged in cellophane ones that you'd toss in the nuker for two minutes.

djem

I stopped mine when my vision got so blurry I could barely see the hair on my palms, I mean, arms.

Edit: to you point, I can’t see how a song can be perceived as a guilty pleasure unless you were raised in a strict, religious household that didn’t allow for ‘devil music’ to be played.

Last edited:

Muddy100

Not guilt, but justification.
Sometimes the image of the artist is larger than the performance or the content...remember when everyone hated disco? The Beegees were ostracized.
...or it could be a legitimately awful tune with one redeeming portion...like an amazing bass line, or great vocal, or an awesome tone and the rest sucks big time. I don't feel guilty, but I have had some side-eyes and needed to point out the diamond in an otherwise massive heap of dung.

amstrtatnut

I absolutely love, I Feel Love, by Donna Summer.

I dont feel guilty or embarrassed but I kept it on the down low when I was a teenager.

Its probably just outgrowing teenage tastes but still remembering what you would admit to at that age.

Kill 'Em All

... I can’t see how a song can be perceived as a guilty pleasure unless you were raised in a strict, religious household that didn’t allow for ‘devil music’ to be played.
would you feel comfortable having this tune blaring from your car stereo with the windows down at a red light on a summer afternoon?

fingertip

Squier to the Grand Funk
Platinum Supporting Member
Where would we be without our songs?

1660799679648.jpeg

Sacrifice

"Guilty pleasure" is just slang for "I like this song that most people laugh at". No one likes being laughed at.

Testosterone can definitely play a part. So can insecurities.

"OMG, can't let anyone know I still like Nelson."

Today's guilty pleasure...

TheBehaviors

would you feel comfortable having this tune blaring from your car stereo with the windows down at a red light on a summer afternoon?

I'd be perfectly comfortable with that in the spring or fall but summers around here are too hot and humid to drive with the windows down.

scelerat

Silver Supporting Member
Only thing that really comes to mind for me is Johnny Rebel, and when I updated my ipod years ago, I let it all go into the bitbucket.

Wasn't really a pleasure, just call it a curiosity. Ugh.

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
"Guilty pleasure" is just slang for "I like this song that most people laugh at". No one likes being laughed at.

Testosterone can definitely play a part. So can insecurities.

"OMG, can't let anyone know I still like Nelson."

Today's guilty pleasure...

2:13 to 2:20 lol. Somehow, I feel that was done on purpose.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom