Guitar Ad Keyword Spamming: Isn't it Unacceptable?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jay K, May 9, 2016.

1. Jay K

Jay K Member

I recently ran across an ad on Reverb that included a number of famous names in the title and also on the "Make" line.

Here is the relevant portion of the title of the ad:
    Klein, Malinoski, Hartung, Teuffel Style Handmade custom semi hollowbody guitar

Here is the entry for the "make," where the seller is supposed to put the name of the manufacturer or builder:
    Klein, Malinoski, Teuffel, Hartung type custom guitar

What do others think about this sort of advertising? Although reading through the ad one can determine the guitar was built by an unspecified builder who is not one of the listed names, the fact is if one does a search on any of the builders names listed in the title, one would then be directed to the ad which has nothing to do with any of these builders. Also, if one has listed any of these builders on their personal feed from Reverb, they will end up seeing this ad on their personal feed.

I find this sort of keyword manipulation unsavory and borderline dishonest, if not outright dishonest. What do others think about this sort of ad (and I ask because Reverb told me in substance they couldn't care less about this sort of keyword manipulation on their website in contrast to Ebay, which often does remove such ad titles).

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I flag anything I see on CL that has keyword spamming. I hate it.

twinrider1 and QRSS like this.
  3. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

that was weird for me on my first read
    i was like, "damn - he has a lot of time to mess with craigslist to flag all that stuff"
    then i realized - oh - he means when he's looking for stuff and then he sees it. . . . .

carry on, folks