Guitar amp and mic monitoring question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gabler, Feb 11, 2012.

1. gabler

gabler Member

What are your thoughts on this for performing live: Having a powered 12'' or 15'' monitor and small mixer for my amp and vocal mic. (my own personal mix on stage) I cant carry the larger amps due to my back and getting older. I sometimes play large places where I need an 85 watt twin but dont want to carry that much weight. I was thinking I could use an old blackface deluxe amp and run that and my vocal mic and the output of the consoles monitor mix into my monitor system. It works for Eric Johnson. What do you guys think?

2. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

wouldn't it just be easier to hire a slave to help haul your gear?

the more ancillary gear you throw up on stage, the harder it will be for the house engineer to get a good mix...especially when you take the control away from him/her, and do it yourself.

3. robare99

robare99 Senior Member

Just buy a 15W amp. Any place big enough for an 85W twin I assume will have a decent PA setup. Don't be that old loud guy blowing everybodys brains out. Be the guy with the great time in a small package that's always easy to work with.

Don't overthink it, find a great small amp with the tone you like, let the sound guy mic it, he can give you some in your monitor, and he will make it sound great out front!!

:love:

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

Put some wheels on your Twin.