Guitar Amp Head -- What Would be Best for CLEAN SOUNDS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by perovaas, Feb 8, 2012.

1. perovaas

perovaas Member

I am trying to make up my mind about what would be the best amp head to buy in terms of CLEAN SOUNDS. I play jazz (not necessarily trad, and not smooth), blues and Brazilian music and use strat, tele, solid or semi-acoustic guitars dressed with either single-coil, humbucker, or P-90 pups.

I don't care if tube heads are mostly known for the crunch tones, provided that at low gain settings I can get a really transparent clean tone.

Thank you for your advice.

2. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

Fargen blackbird v2 is insane and can cover what you're looking for.

3. twotoneguitars

twotoneguitars Member

check out the Dr Z Stang Ray. The best clean tube amps out there. It's a bit Voxy, but it can still mellow out with the tone knob.

4. Ugh

Ugh Supporting Member

Depending on how much wattage you're after, I'd look at a few different Fender heads. Blackface and early silverface bandmasters (40w), bassmans (50w) and showmans (85w) will all deliver stellar cleans. These all also take pedals very well for various shades of dirt.

5. GT100

GT100 Member

GUYTRON GT-100 F/V

one of the best

Lloyd

6. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

Pretty much anything Richard Goodsell makes. I have his 17 and 33, and they are kings of clean headroom.

7. blke

blke Member

Two Rocks have legendary cleans. Check out the Classic Reverb, Custom Clean, or Studio Pro 35, and if those are too expensive, go for the new EXO

8. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

There are so many threads on this and no consensus.. I think everyone has a different idea of the perfect clean sound.....you just have to find out what yours is....

9. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

Carr 6V has an amazing clean tone.

RRC

10. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

11. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

There's all kinds of great amps out there. For the price I don't think a silverface Dual Showman Reverb can be beat, but there are plenty of great companies that make some fantastic clean amps that also have nice dirty tones.

Redplate- most if not all of their offerings get great, scratch that, fantastic cleans

Two Rock- same as above, but seem their amps generally seem to be a little more mid-scooped than the Redplates generally do (that is a VEEEERY sweeping generalization, and does not apply in all cases, but just what it sounded like TO ME imo)

Morgan- the SW series is supposed sound similar to Dumble SSS, the classic clean amp, and the other American amps he makes, and the Vox-inspired amps sound like they have great cleans of a different variety

Other brands I haven't heard of or have forgotten to mention, there are a ton of great options, it's up to you to listen and discover your favorite.

Also, even though you want great cleans if you also want will ever want overdrive you should think about what kind of volume you need for your gigs, and get an appropriately sized (power-wise) amp.

For instance the only place I ever get to play other than my house is at church and the 20+ watts from my 6v6 loaded Vibrolux Reverb is too much for me to get the amount of distortion I generally like to have on tap.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  12. perovaas

perovaas Member

Thank you all very much. I will look into every alternative. Let me go further:

Recently I was after a BASS Amp Head that would reproduce clean electric bass (Precision) sounds AND an upright w/ piezo pups. And I got excellent reviews on Genz Benz, SWR, and Aguilar heads. All of those heads being LIGHT and SMALL. Is there anything like that (a light and small amp head) - in the same quality range - for GUITARS?

Thank you again!