Guitar Amp or Direct To House?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lemuel.Tan, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Lemuel.Tan

Lemuel.Tan Member

Hello, I reckon this might be an age-old question but if there are other threads pertaining to this, I haven't seen them yet. So my question is: should I continue to go direct to house through the Palmer DI (speaker cabinet simulator) or lug my amp around for Sunday services every week? I find that while the sound that comes out from the house is decent, I can't really feel the dynamics of the band on stage because there is no live (stage) reference and that kinda limits my expressions (because I don't know how loud I am compared with the rest, stuff like that). So yeah, currently it's just Palmer DI to house with in-ear monitors (not Aviom, so control is centralised) as the only source of reference, which is inconsistent every week.

Thanks!

2. jtw

jtw Member

I deal with this same issue every week. In my experience in a similar situation as yours, I find it best just to use a floor POD and go direct. Less to carry, sounds "decent" in my opinion, and saves you the stress headache of working your tone out every week. As with all live music situations, there will always be variables, but churches present a unique situation in which guitarists are asked to work. It can be frustrating trying to simultaneously find a tone you're happy with, not hack off the sound guy, and make sure you're copping the vibe the worship leader is looking for. And again as with all things, it's about compromising to make it work in the bigger scope of the gig.

So far, I've had the best luck going direct with the POD. Good luck; I certainly understand your situation.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

This is why I stick to playing acoustic at church. :dude

4. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

In-ears are not the best solution for a "live" feeling band, but they are usually the best way to keep volume off the stage for more PA control. The only other option I might recommend is to use an amp at low volume placed close to you, mic'd for the PA.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Yeah low wattage amp at low volume, closed back is best (choir likes to complain). And mic'd which sound guys hate discussing, they always want to "run direct"; c'mon guys get with the times, back to way it's sposed to be - tone is all that matters!!

6. Lemuel.Tan

Lemuel.Tan Member

Man you hit the nail in every department! I actually came from using a PODxt but after I've started on analog pedals, I couldn't go back to the PODxt anymore. It just sounds... Well... Different.

Anyway, for those who suggested, what is a good stage volume? I have a Fender Super 60 amp that has been re-wired PTP. Would volume 2 be too loud? Or what low wattage amp would be great with a really nice clean blackface tone?

7. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Use your fender with an sm57 infront of it. 2 would probably be too loud in a smaller church, maybe too low in larger church.

I run sound at my church and I've played guitar therebefore also. We seat about 1500 people so I can run my Jube on 2-3 no problems, 5-6 in concert situations where stage volume isn't that big of a deal.

If you mainly play clean, and don't have an amp that requires 7 or up on the volume knob to have decent overdrive, then theres no reason not to use an amp. Obviously a Plexi type amp would be useless in church unless your using pedals for distorted sounds (if you play Hillsong and stuff like that), but with a Fender your probably using a tubescreamer anyway.

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

If I was in a house situation, I "might" opt to use my Vox ToneLab direct if I had decent monitors. I can record with it using my studio monitors rather than headphones, and it sounds great that way. I have recorded with drum loops and a bas player direct and it is cool to be able to talk to each other if needed whilst tracking :)