Guitar Amps or Cabs with 15" speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fjabjr, Feb 15, 2009.

1. fjabjr

fjabjr Member

I've never played through and amp with a 15" speaker. What does a 15" do or not do that a 12" or 10" does. I know the best way to learn about this is to try it myself but I guess I'm just looking for opinions. Thanks

2. jeak

jeak Member

Well, it depends on lots of factors, but in general I have found 15s to be the most hi-fi sounding of speaker sizes. A 15 can have the sparkle of a 10 and has more bottom than a 12. The mids tend to be more even (less pronounced) than in a 12, or at least they sound that way to me. A 15 also may not have as much punch or spank as a 10.

A 15 is the only size speaker I generally like by itself. If I have to play through 10s or 12s, I want at last two of them, whereas I can enjoy a 15 on its own. The ones I've used seem to be more full-range than most 10s and 12s.

Fifteens can also sound round and mellow for jazz guitar, but that is by no means their sonic limit. Just listen to some old Dick Dale surf guitar through a Dual Showman and a pair of 15" JBLs. I currently play through two 15s in separate sealed cabs plus a 10 in an open cab.

3. Billm

Billm Member

I have an old Sano A-3T on the bench right now--came in for a grounded power cord. It's a fairly compact 15-inch combo with a pair of 8417s driving some really big, heavy iron, probably 60-65 watts output. The amp evidently shares some parentage with Ampeg. When it goes back to the guitar store (he doesn't want to electrocute his customers), it'll probably sell for chump change.

The cleans are just enormous, but different from a 2x12. The breakup tone of a 15 is unique, too. It's softer/smoother than a smaller speaker.

15-inch speakers and pedal steel are dynamite together, too.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

One of the most underrated and best sounding 1x15" amps I've ever played through and owned was a Victoria 35115T Tweed Pro. It had a Weber P15N (15A150). Absolutely killer tone with single coils and humbuckers alike.
    I'd also like to hear one of Lou Rosano's Louis Electric Trembleluxes or KR amps with a good 15" speaker. Makes my mouth water just to think about it! The clip below was recorded with a Louis Electric Tremblelux with a Scumback H75 (12" speaker).

Tom

5. Oldtone

Oldtone Member

I picked up a Jensen C15K and did mod to a cab to contain it. It's an open back cab. I was really surprised both ways. I had hoped for more sparkle, which it seems to lack like the C12N. It does have a bigger, almost acoustic quality to it that amazes me. Seems to give Modded BJ more headroom and bigger sound. For that, it's a keeper. It doesn't seem to work as well with a Palomino 30 head as the other Jensens do.
    Hi-fi, as decribed above, nails it.

6. fjabjr

fjabjr Member

hmmm...Hi-fi. Very interesting stuff. I just purchased a Goodsell Super 7 from another TGPer. Haven't gotten it yet and once it gets here I'm sure I'll be loving it just the way it is...but now I'm thinking I'd like to try that hooked up to a cab loaded with a 15". Will 7watts be enough juice to get a 15" moving?

7. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

8. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

I owned a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Compared to a Classic 30, it was bigger and fuller sounding. Good bass response, though it wasn't overpowering.

9. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

tends just get noticed, had fender pro reverb with a 15", really never cared for that amp, but it impressed this guy I played with. for me the amp was just boring, so traded it for a mark iv, much better bass and I was not bored with that amp even if it did not excite the other guy with its 12

10. marantz1300

marantz1300 Member

I have both 1x15 and 1x12 cabs. The 12 is a Boogie Black Shadow , the 15 a Fane. The 15 is smoother with more extended bass. The 12 sounds brighter ,more aggressive .I like both ,it depends on what I,m playing which I use. I do mix and match them with amps. [​IMG]

11. colecutter

colecutter Member

Interesting thread. I'm in the market for a 40W or more tube amp combo with a 2X12 or 1X15 setup - any recommendations will be very welcome.

12. mj07

mj07 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've got this 72 Vibrosonic-pretty much a twin w/ a 15". Sparkle and Hi-Fi pretty much nail it. I also have a '70 Twin and a/b'ing them the VBS just seems to be capable of more high end, though not in an ice-picky sort of way.

13. colecutter

colecutter Member

Looks tempting. I think I'll start a WTB thread just to see what's out there.

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

3 of my amps are 1x15:

Sewell Wampus Cat
    Victoria 35115
    Ampeg Gemini II

First tweed 1x15 I tried (a tweed pro type) completely convinced me. It's not about the bass. You probably get more bass from a 2x12. It's about the mids and highs, the depth of the tone, how fat and wide it feels. I'm real fond of 2x12s also, but plugging into a 1x15 is like coming home. Especially that Sewell.

15. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

16. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I use a 1x15 cab w/ a Big Ben for my 30 watt Bumbox Cielo. I like the Big Ben, it is a a round thick sounding speaker that still manages to cut in the mix. My amp is more of a JTM-45 circuit, but when people hear it with the Big Ben they think it is more of a Dumble based circuit because it sounds so smooth. Plus the cab is wicked light, so it is great on the road.

17. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I also have a Sewell. Mine has 2x10"s (a Copperhead and Ragin' Cajun) and a 1x15" (Legend) extension cabinet. When I first got it, I thought the 10"s would be much more midrangey and the 15" would handle the bottom and, perhaps, the top high end. In hindsight, I think my perception was driven by the physical size of the speakers. Surprisingly, as it turns out, the 10"s have the wide frequency response and the 15" gets the midrange chunk. Sometimes I play them separately. However, they get a really big sound together.

18. JimmyB

JimmyB Silver Supporting Member

What is this? I'm getting the dreaded " This video is not available in your country.":huh

19. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Supporting Member

My 1964 Vibroverb.
    classic 1x15 combo.
    [​IMG]

20. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

If you're interested in sampling the 15 inch speaker tone, the Peavey Delta Blues is an excellent choice. The positive posts in this thread about the tonal qualities of 15 inch speakers in general are spot on. Firm and solid low's, sweet high's and mid's. I think the Peavey Delta Blues is a great tone machine and one of the best bargains out there in a new amp. One cautionary note, the DB 15 loses some of that magic in its overdrive mode. The clean channel, which starts to break up at a reasonable volume is absolutely sweet.