Guitar and IEMs with one cable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by alanthing, Jul 13, 2014.

1. alanthing

alanthing Member

I play with in ears and don't have any wireless systems, so having to worry about two cable when playing is a bummer. I was thinking about getting a 4-channel snake cable and making each end have a male mono 1/4" plug for the instrument and a female stereo 1/8" jack for the headphones. Then I can run an 1/8" cable from the other end of the cable to the Aviom.

Has anyone done something like or similar to this? My fear is that the cable jacket from the "snake cable" wouldn't be as flexible as a normal guitar cable. But this would be a lot cheaper than 1 or 2 quality wireless systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. alanthing

alanthing Member

I hate bumping threads but I was really hoping to get some feedback on this silly idea, haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

It's not the cable jacket that you really need to worry about. It's the individual cables within the snake, they are quite flexible actually. For your intended use, just make the fan at the pedalboard end longer. The snakes I use that have 4 cables are fairly flexible and is roughly 5/8" in diameter.

4. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

I do something very similar. I use the Tasty Blender by Rock On Audio as my mixer, Westone IEM's, and a cable made for wired IEM systems (also made by Rock On Audio). Here is a video I did explaining the system.

5. treeuh

treeuh Member

I gaff taped a 1/8in extension cable to my 1/4 lead (lots of tape), and that worked well... Until the extension stopped working... Otherwise it's a cool idea. Go for it!

6. tubetonez

tubetonez Member