Guitar Assembly - Is it that easy . . .

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Big Al Z, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Member

Probably not - nothing I do is - but I gotta ask.

I have a mid 90's American Strat. It's got a black body and I just want a change after 10+ years. If I buy a Fender body from someone (and there's many on the bay), what's the chances my neck is going to be a good fit in the new body? What do I need to look for?

Thanks ahead of time cuz I know many here at TGP have done this.

Al Z.

2. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I think your chances of the neck fitting into the body are good. But, the chances of you being able to set it up and make it play the way it should might not be as easy. If you have a tech, they could probably do it no problem.
    That being said, I have recently moved necks back and forth between a few different guitars without much hassle. Except of course for my tele partscaster where I actually wanted to replace the neck and bought the body and neck seperately specifically for this reason :worried
    It's with a tech now, we'll see what happens.

3. sarge40

sarge40 Member

Its easy. You do have to make sure that the bridge will be correct for the body. For example, a lot of American Strats have the two point trem attachment as opposed to the six screw vintage setup. Everything else should fit fine, unless the pickguard is a 50s or 62 type, which has a different screw layout. Any four bolt Fender body should accept your four bolt Fender neck, some tighter than others, and some needing shims. A good setup after you get your trem set up to your liking is instrumental (pun intended) to the git playing nice.

4. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Anyone can slap a guitar togeter, but assembly is a process. For me it's like balancing and blue printing an engine. Take your time, be thoughtfull and build it right.

5. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Member

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll probably go for it and have a local tech do a setup on it.

Al Z.

6. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Buy earlwines book, give it a shot. As long as you don't get crazy you can't hurt anything.