1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar Autograph Preservation

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by king-albert, Jun 22, 2005.

1. king-albert

king-albert Supporting Member

I recently had one of my heroes autograph the tremolo cover on the back of my Strat. He used a black sharpie. What can I apply to it to preserve it from rubbing off/scratching/etc? I thought about a clear-coat or laquer but those might contain alcohol which would take off the marker, right? Come on experts! Show me the way!

2. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Turn it over and put the autograph on the inside , or buy another cover and stash that one .

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

So who was it that signed your guitar?

4. king-albert

Stephen Malkmus signed it. The thing is I want it on the guitar. I don't want to replace the trem cover. Any ideas?

5. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

You could try clear acrylic , ka . Clean around the sig with alcohol or naptha on cotton / Q-tips to make sure it adheres and then do several *light* mist coats so it doesn't run , and then do a regular coat . I did it this spray method on regular ink-jet paper and it worked fine with no bleed .

6. king-albert

Thanks for the help RL. I'll give that a shot.

7. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

I too have a guitar signed on the back by one of the greats, Les Paul. I had Les sign with a silver, autograph pen. What can I do to protect this signiture and not destroy the guitar?

8. alderbody

alderbody Member

as for the trem cover autograph, i'd cover it with transparent adhesive film, because i think that lacquer would peel off.

remember, the trem cover is flexible and the lacquer is hard...

9. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

Any advice for protecting a signature on the BODY of the guitar?

10. unclej54

unclej54 Guest

i recently purchased a can of spray clear paint that was specifically made to spray on plastic. i bought it at the local ace hardware so you might check around before you do anything..if you haven't already fixed it.

11. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

No lacquer , acrylic . ( Belushi : "No Coke !! Pepsi !! " ) :D

12. king-albert

Thanks for all the good advice. I ended up going to the hardware store and buying a can of clear coat (matte finish). For the first two coats, I sprayed OVER (not directly on) the piece allowing the particles to rain down a nice mist of liquid onto my precious inked icon. No running or smearing occured. For the final coat I lightly sprayed a more direct stream to the piece. I am very happy with the results. Thanks again to everyone for their help.

13. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

:AOK Thazzit !

The "on the body" sig is another story , nocti . You could PM "paintguy" and see if he's got a suggestion .

I thought about the clear sticky too , Alder , but once it wears or scratches it would be "solvent city" to get off the adhesive , some sort of clearcoat can just be hit again .