• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Guitar Battle: Dweezil owns Vai - WARNING: extreme wankage ahead

Bussman

Nah. But the Dweez certainly holds his own. Loved it. They're all great! That sax player!!!

Well I'm about to get up (sick)
From watchin my t.v.
Been checkin' out the news
Until my eyeballs fail to see
I mean to say that every day
Is just another rotten mess
And when it's gonna change, my friend
Is anybody's guess!

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
The both sounded great. Vai's tone was a little thin and fuzzy in that clip.

59burst

Platinum Supporting Member
That was great fun! Thanks for posting.

Anyone know who the guy was with the sunburst Les Paul?

GtrWiz

That was great fun! Thanks for posting.

Anyone know who the guy was with the sunburst Les Paul?
That's Jamie Kime, bad, bad dude. I used to hang with him a bunch in my LA days.

He co-hosts the Jam at The Baked Potato.

Daryl_Licht

That was cool. I listened, then read the other posts, then had to look for my Nomex coveralls so I could post this.

Dweezil did indeed own Vai. The mysterious stranger with the LP did as well. Their playing was relevant to what was going on around them. SV, while impressive and displaying ability I'll never hope to have, was wanking for the sake of wanking.

rickcard71

Gold Supporting Member
Don't know what the heck you guys are watching or you are clueless, but Vai's stuff was very technical and required a lot of speed. Vai smoked him. However, I did like what Dweezil was playing better & his tone was better. But for the wank and shred factor, Vai won that.

freedom's door

"Jamming" is not one of Vai's stronger musical talents, but i still liked his playing better than Dweezil's.
Every single person on that stage is a monster musician though.

alguit

Silver Supporting Member
Oh boy...

Hmmmm...

Whyohwhy...

Can't it just be a friendly back-and-forth jam between two friends? Why do we guitarists, and grownups as well, feel so compelled to say that one guy "smoked" the other? What is the point of that? Are we still in the fourth grade telling some other kid, "my dad can beat up your dad"?

I enjoyed watching both guys play; they're tremendous talents, seemed to have a really good time, and I even learned a few things. Good enough for me.

-Alan

ps-my dad would have kicked your dad's ass!

Chris Scott

Oh boy...

Hmmmm...

Whyohwhy...

Can't it just be a friendly back-and-forth jam between two friends? Why do we guitarists, and grownups as well, feel so compelled to say that one guy "smoked" the other? What is the point of that? Are we still in the fourth grade telling some other kid, "my dad can beat up your dad"?

I enjoyed watching both guys play; they're tremendous talents, seemed to have a really good time, and I even learned a few things. Good enough for me.

-Alan

ps-my dad would have kicked your dad's ass!

Ah, the competitive spirt.

Why?...

...'cuz it's BIG FUN.

(...and I agree - he smoked him good.)

woof*

Never cared for Vai's tone..other than in the crossroads movie.

ETA: I happened to be watching "Clapton shreds" on YouTube earlier lol :)

Nickstrtcstr

Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger
Dweezil's tone was killer therefore his playing sounded better. I liked what he was playing better. That said, Vai is a monster player.

Telebluze

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't know who "smoked" who.......but I like Dweezil's playing and tone better.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
I dunno, as I get older, I prefer Dweezil's classic '70s tone to Vai's '80s tone. That being said, does anyone on the planet sound like Vai? Extremely unique!

I could never play like any of these guys, and although it may be fun to be able to do it, It all sounds like crap to me. I will choose Gilmour or BB King every time over speed wanking

To me, this is classic Zappa "family tradition"......Yeah, your sideman or hired gun usually smokes you (but just by a hair) when it comes to speed and technical ability, but you're still the man with superior tone, feel, and phrasing.
Hell, ...i'm a Neil young folkster and still dug the clip! thanks!

Trending Topics