• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Guitar Body Paint Dull/Faded Due to Sweat from Where I Rest My Forearm (Armprint)

I have around seven guitars and I swear, all of them have the dull paint where I set my forearm while playing. Is there any way to avoid this? Are all me guitars destined to be damaged this way? Do I have to wipe the dang thing off and wax it every time that I use it?

I live in Texas, and its hot, so most of the time, you are going to sweat unless you set your AC really low, which burns up a lot of energy and money.

FenderLester

If it's lacquer finish (like Gibsons) it's fairly easy to restore. They have guitar polish specific for lacquer that works really well. Short of guitar-specific polish, Meguire's auto polish usually works pretty well. I'm sure there are threads on here with all the different chemicals that work for various finishes. Naptha, lighter fluid, etc. work for specific finishes and for lighter depth hazing and scratches. Deep scratches or hazing/cracking deep under the finish would likely require restoring the finish with whatever was originally on the guitar.

dank

Consummate Beatles Fan
Gold Supporting Member
Years ago, I bought a a very breathable sleeve that someone had introduced on The Acoustic Guitar Forum. I don’t gig without it. Your forearm slides over the surface of the guitar. Throw it in the washing machine each week. It’s @ great accessory.

Years ago, I bought a a very breathable sleeve that someone had introduced on The Acoustic Guitar Forum. I don’t gig without it. Your forearm slides over the surface of the guitar. Throw it in the washing machine each week. It’s @ great accessory.
Kind of like Hetfield used to wear with Metallica (and a host of other 80's guys like Mattias Jabbs) I am guessing. Not a bad idea...

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
Do you have a brand / model for that sleeve? I've used cotton socks and currently use the sleeve from a silk undershirt but it's not ideal.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom