• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Guitar body? Warmoth, Guitar Mill, Allparts??

Which one should I go for??

• Total voters

Alan Wolf

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve built 2 warmoth based guitars. In both cases the necks were custom, and the bodies were from stock. The necks were really, really nice—they needed some very minor fret leveling and dressing to get them in the same league as my Grosh and Collings guitars. The bodies, both lightweight swamp ash, were picked due to the grain (since I had planned fairly transparent finishes). Besides having lovely grain, the Strat body was single piece. The Tele thinline body was pretty much perfect, in every regard. The Strat has several small patches of over aggressive sanding on it, with scratches that read as 60 grit, and 2 spots where if it were getting a solid finish, I would have bondoed to fair out the curves. (Dime sized problems.)

I realized that I could return the Strat body; thought about it for a day or two. Decided against it; the reality is that I’m probably the only person that will notice every the flaws. If I had done it, I’d be pissed off at myself... Unless I look for them, I don’t see or feel them. I think this was probably an anomaly from Warmoth, and wouldn’t hesitate to order another.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
Can I know the reason why you dont prefer guitar mill?
Absolutely. They are local so I had them make a part for me. They charged 50% more than anyone else, took twice as long as they said they would, and they screwed it up about 10 different ways so it was unusable, then wouldn't make it right, no refund no customer service just buh bye thanks for your money.

I would never ever use them again even though they are local and convenient, and I would never, ever, ever recommend them to anyone under any circumstances.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
I've built 2 with Warmoth and 2 with Guitar Mill. If you are wanting vintage, Guitar Mill all the way, with a Musikraft neck, IMO. That is what both of these are. The fit is so tight, the neck stays in place without screws. And they are light, and sound fantastic.

I’d definatly avoid All parts bodies. MJT CUSTOM AGED VINTAGE FINISHES has purchase USA CUSTOM GUITARS. If you want & NEED QUALITY & choice, go with USACG, if you don’t care, order all parts!!

greenlemon

I've built 2 with Warmoth and 2 with Guitar Mill. If you are wanting vintage, Guitar Mill all the way, with a Musikraft neck, IMO. That is what both of these are. The fit is so tight, the neck stays in place without screws. And they are light, and sound fantastic.

Those look amazing! just curious, when you said "more vintage", what do you mean by it? Do you mean the shape/cut of the body is more closer to Fender's 1950/1960s body? thank you!

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Those look amazing! just curious, when you said "more vintage", what do you mean by it? Do you mean the shape/cut of the body is more closer to Fender's 1950/1960s body? thank you!
Yes. I like the original/early Tele shape and more square corners. Also, I love how a "blackguard" neck from Musikraft fits so tightly in the pocket. No slop or play whatsoever, so it indicates precise work from both Guitar Mill and and Musikraft. Here is my body held up in the air with no screws.

greenlemon

Thank you everyone for the reply!

It seems to me that Warmoth bodies are more preferred over guitar mill, but both a great!

greenlemon

Is this body from guitar mill or warmoth?

Yes. I like the original/early Tele shape and more square corners. Also, I love how a "blackguard" neck from Musikraft fits so tightly in the pocket. No slop or play whatsoever, so it indicates precise work from both Guitar Mill and and Musikraft. Here is my body held up in the air with no screws.

noisebloom

I wouldn't have a problem going with any one of them.

FWIW, I finished a partscaster in August with a one piece swamp ash body from Guitar Mill. I love the result so much that I'm itching to do another one, with a body from Guitar Mill.

Arf

I've assembled guitars using bodies from all of those all listed and several that are not... no issues with an y of them.. the only one I won't allow in my shop is a body from GFS...

I can recommend Sound Guitar Works... I've seen a lot of their "stuff".. all very good..
Good, then maybe you can answer this question. I'm thinking of putting anAllpars neck on a Warmoth tele I built. I've been at this since the late 70s but have never used theirs. But about eight years ago I mentioned the fact that the parts makers often have different ideas of what 2 3/16" means. Some guy had a fit. Called me a liar, a fake and said I was making it up when I said I related to remove wood from a Warmoth pocket to put on a Fender neck and a few other findings. My question is, have you put an Allparts neck on a Warmoth body and did you have to do anything to it?

Ron Kirn

it's not so much makers have different interpretations of what 2 3/16 means.. it's that wood expands and contracts... but you. have to remembert if the 2 3/16 is really 2 23/64ths.. that one 64th may be exacerbated by the body shrinking a crack which actually makes the neck pocket expand a little..

the AllParts neck should work fine, but keep in mind, this is Planet Earth where Murphy rules..

Trending Topics