Guitar boxes?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by el duderino, Jan 26, 2012.

1. el duderino

el duderino Member

Where would I look to find a box to ship a guitar in? I don't seem to be having much luck finding a box in that shape.

2. Sawarow

Sawarow Gold Supporting Member

3. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Or check the local music store.

4. KazJY

KazJY Member

I call GC or Sam Ash before going there, and see when they might be unloading a shipment. Sunday nights is when I was told to come by, since they are restocking over the weekend.

Be cool about it. Say "I need to come in for strings and picks, but am going to need a guitar box so I can ship a sold guitar, when would you guys have one that you don't need?" Maybe even hint that you'd be glad to look there for your next axe.

After that, just plan ahead - the second you see another one, grab it and leave it in your garage! :)

5. chaddy45123

chaddy45123 Member

Try the ups store our local one carrys them

6. natmiss

natmiss Member

A lot of music stores sell them for around 10 bucks.

7. cjp54

cjp54 Member

The dumpster behind any Guitar Center will have some boxes on any given day. I always get a box first before I even put a guitar up for sale so I'm not going crazy looking for a box at the last minute.

8. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

I'm 6-4. Dumpster diving is easy. I just go to my local GC, hit the back of the store, reach in....look for a typical Schecter or Ibanez box and I'm good to go.

9. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

I have GC hold them for me when I know I'm going to ship a guitar. They get shipments every week so I never have to wait long for one, and best of all it's free!

10. StonieSlagg

StonieSlagg Supporting Member

As has been stated already, call your local GC or Sam Ash and ask them what day(s) they get their deliveries. Ask if they'll set some aside for you. When I used to work in a music store we always had guys coming in for boxes. It's just one or more less boxes to break down and take to the dumpster at the end of the night. You might even score some packing materials while you're at it.

11. el duderino

el duderino Member

Awesome! Thanks for the ideas, looks like I will be doing some dumpster diving tomorrow!

12. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

My local music store always gives me one when I need.

13. mfitz804

mfitz804 Member

I typically don't have any success in obtaining boxes from local music stores. I don't have a big box store like GC or Sam Ash that's exactly local, but when near one I have successfully scored boxes out of their dumpster.

That being said, I tend to sell a lot and the Uline boxes work very well.

Of course, the most obvious tip is to keep the boxes you receive guitars in, if you also buy online. Just remember to dispose of them if they are too beat to death and they no longer offer adequate protection.

14. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Occasionally you even find bodies, necks and other such stuff.

15. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

One or maybe two handlings by major shippers will render a cardboard box no longer suitable for adaquate protection in shipping. I used to re-use as much as possible, from a "green" standpoint as much as being cheap, but UPS can deny coverage with a beat carton, among other reasons against re-using cartons. I now buy new, every time, at the local Mailboxes Etc, for about 10-12 bucks.

16. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

GC dumpster is a key resource! I once found a Gibson LP box, complete with bag of goodies (cable, cloth, hang tags)!

17. guitaristanyc

guitaristanyc Senior Member

Of humans?

18. mfitz804

mfitz804 Member

A good point. Typically I'll re-use one if it is (or looks like) the first time it was shipped. If I get one that looks like its been on two trips, usually I toss it. I also throw out the cheaper, thinner ones regardless of age.

Using a new one every time is really not a bad idea if you are trying to achieve maximum protection.

That sounded dirty but it wasn't intended to.

19. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

Two shipments per box is usually a standard to adhere to however common sense prevails. Some boxes that are used for short trips are fine and others can only take one before they look like they were dragged under a bus. In most "gig bag only" deliveries, double-boxing is the preferred method and I literally mumify the instrument. If I'm shipping a guitar in its case, I usually will bubble wrap the case itself and then suspend it so no edge is touching the interior of the shipping box. Packing material on the bottom, sides and top so the case itself won't directly take an impact and transfer that shock to whatever is inside. Since 1979, with over 500 guitars shipped, I've never filed a claim.