• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Guitar builder in Malawi refugee camp

zztomato

Fellow TGPer Faithman2K posted this in the guitar forum but I thought I'd post it here. This is really inspiring and just goes to show what an amazing thing the human spirit is. With the most rudimentary of tools this man builds guitars and in doing so brings music and joy to the people around him. Just a great look at the up side of human nature. I wish my shop was busy enough to offer him a job.
Enjoy!

zztomato

I sent him an email to see what supplies he might need. So far he just sent an auto reply kind of thing saying "call if it's an emergence". A couple other forumites thought we could get some better tools to him. Radius blocks and such.

zztomato

So Patron got back to me with this;

"I'm really thankful for this but honestly am in need of every thing:
fretwire., glue, varnish, and tools( electric tools) for electric
guitars, all parts it is hard to find them here, Bridges, strings,
volumes, Head machines,... so pleas I really
need your support.
you may send me things on this address

J.R.S Malawi PO. Box 31711 Lilongwe
Mushamuka Nyirenda Patron
Guitar Maker at Dzaleka refugee camp Dowa
Phone +265 99 56 19 764

Pleas you send try to contact me first"

He needs a lot of anything really. I'm going to box a small amount of used things that I have around the shop, pots, pickups, some old wire etc. and send it off to see if it gets there. There's an effort under way (in the Guitars forum) to try to raise funds to send a big package from one of the luthier suppliers. Not sure a big box of new stuff is the way to go here but I'm going to try this first. If anyone feels like boxing up some stuff you don't need I'm sure he'd appreciate it. Music makes the world go around.

Top Bottom