Guitar Builders, looking for a challenge?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by pureoverdrive, Dec 25, 2009.

1. scott

scott Supporting Member

It sounds cool but I dont think it can be done on your budget. there is a lot of custom work and the variax alone has got 5 or 6 hun alone...

2. DamianP

DamianP Member

Is the challenge to live on the income provided?

Damian.

3. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Suppose it could be done for that but would you want it to be?

4. pureoverdrive

pureoverdrive Member

Difficult to guage because of unique features but $3000 should cover parts.. and $1000 for labour...

5. pureoverdrive

pureoverdrive Member

nice site and builds

6. sahhas

sahhas Member

wasn't sure where to post this, but... a few things to consider:

the adrian belew parker fly has the line 6 variax stuff in it-and it's close to $10K in price (well maybe its 9k), granted the parker is a hi-tech build which puts costs up and hard to replicate for most....

then-other thing -if it's a wolfgang new body-those are sold in the 3K range (and they are newish)...

i mean i think the guitar could be done (not by me by a long shot), but i think you have to look at your components-the sustainer-that adds a couple hundred-plus routing/electronics for it...

sure i think most luthiers could copy the body shape you want (but again that would take time/effort-that adds to costs)-but i think the elements you require in it, is probably not a realistic cost. just my 2 cents....
    but then again, maybe there is someone out there who could do it....
    good luck....
    s---

7. ptgold

ptgold Member

1000$ for labor? thats not worth much luthiers time for something so unique

8. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Aside from any of the price issues, would a sustainer installed under the neck pickup actually work?

9. Malinoski

Malinoski everything wrong possible

Everybody is a designer...
    not a whole lot of makers tho.

10. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

It sounds like you want a 5500-6k guitar for 4 grand.

Maybe somebody will do it for you. But you're looking at 45-50 hours build time, even being conservative to make a guitar from scratch with paint and finish and all the electronics

Most techs charge 40-50/hr to do set up work.

$1000 for labor is quite low on a guitar like that if that's what you're thinking of paying somebody to hand build a custom guitar.

11. pureoverdrive

pureoverdrive Member

ha! my local tec set up 4 floyd rose equipped guitars and changed 2 pups 4 20...

12. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Then perhaps you should have him build the guitar?

13. scott

scott Supporting Member

Thank you very much!

I hope I dont come accross as an ass here but your value on labor is.....well way off. Forget about all the electronics and the wacky frets, To build a custom guitar like you are asking would take at least 50 hours, at least. Thats a total low ball estimate. Probably more like 80 by time you finish it and wire it, if everything goes as planned(it never does). Thats just a bit over 10 bux an hour...lol. Seting up a floyd and changing some pickups is a far cry from building a complete guitar. Ive had a little expierience with this. I mean you want a birdseye neck thru carved top guitar with a floyd and nice wood. That in itself is a 4K guitar, and thats if the luthier already has the drawing and templates of the wolfgang done. Thats also if you could find a chunk of birdseye big enough for a neck thru. You might find someone to do it all for your price but it wont be pretty and your luthier will go broke doing it. Sorry man , dont mean to be a buzz kill but to be totally honest the guitar sounds like wiring nighmare.

Jim Soloway - Im not sure if that would work actually, the body would have to be plenty thick for it to all fit in there thats for sure. I could be wrong but I dont think it would work, it has to be close to the strings to drive them doesnt it? Kind of like a Ebow?

14. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

And Scott left out the part that there is no way the end result will meet your expectations so you end up badmouthing the builder over something that you designed.

Spend $1000 in tools and give it a go yourself :)

I have 1 piece of beautiful birdseye maple big enough to do you neck (I won't though). It cost me $340. A regular Strat neck costs me $18 in wood.

This is the fact of the matter.

I do wish you luck, maybe someone looking to make a name for themselves will take it up. Expect to pay up from for all the parts though as nobody will cover those costs to make something only you would ever play.

15. Jim Soloway

That's my understanding.

16. RSRelic

RSRelic Member

Nope because it has to be within 1/16" of the strings to move them.

17. pureoverdrive

pureoverdrive Member

What does the position along the body matter? Cant it be installed a bit higher (ie nearer the strings)on the guitar so that ts less than 1/16'' away?

18. Jim Soloway

Perhaps I've misunderstood your original post (often a problem with elaborate user specs). It read like you wanted it stacked underneath the neck humbucker. Are you saying you actually want it parallel to the neck humbucker in a separate route at surface level of the body?

19. pureoverdrive

pureoverdrive Member

normal hh pup spacing, from the bridge: d-sonic, sustainer, tone zone s (so tn zn nxt2 neck)