• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Guitar buying decisions: Got it down to 3

Goo Fighters

I'm going from an Ibanez JS 1200 Satriani model that I've owned since 2005 to a new, more toneful and warmer guitar. I've got it pared down to 3:

Used 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard (sunburst? looks like Jimmy Page's Les Paul)

New Suhr Pro series S?...It's 'Mercedes Blue' with a rosewood fretboard.

Used Eric Johnson Stratocaster, haven't decided on the colour I want yet.

I know I know..play them and pick the one I like best, but I'd like to get some preliminary opinions before I do. I tried the Les Paul today and was pleasantly surprised. The other Les Pauls I've tried in the past I've put back on the wall after a couple minutes. This one, however, was actually really light in comparison, and just as comfortable as the Ibanez to play. Had a very balanced, resonant tone acoustically. That's the acid test for me...If it doesn't sound good unplugged, they won't sound good plugged in IMO. I have owned an SRV Strat before, so I'm fine with the large neck size as it and the EJ Strat both have a 12" radius I believe. Suhr is the only brand Im totally unfamiliar with, but for under 2 grand for a Suhr Pro, it seems like a hell of a deal based on all the good things I've heard about them. Anyways, I need something pretty diverse that can cover a lot of styles excluding country, metal, nu metal crap, emo etc.

Goo Fighters

whats the price on the les paul? are you going to keep the ibanez or replace?
Well, right now the Les Paul I tried is about $2200 CAD. They may be discounting it more with their March Madness sale, but they are bringing in a boatload of scratch n' dent and B-stock guitars for the sale with massive discounts, so if the particular one I tried isn't cheaper, there's a good chance there could be a significantly cheaper B-stock or s&d LP Standard that I could afford if and when I sell my JS. I have a couple prospective buyers in the US right now who are fine with the $1350 USD price (It's upgraded and signed etc...), so that should give me roughly $1700 CAD to spend on a new axe.

benjammin420

thats a hard pick between the strat and the lp, the ibanez is somewhere in the middle. EJs are nice playing and sounding guitars, but not as dark and sharp as a LP. Strats are more tonally diverse than gibson, and less money.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Nothing screams out rock and roll better than a Gibson Les Paul!! :BEER

I only owned one guitar for the first 12 years of playing and it was a Les Paul Custom! Great guitar. :love: