• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Guitar buzzes when I touch tone control.

fetishfrog

Hey all I recently installed a pair of z-90s. They hum a bit as expected for single coils. However, when I touch the tone control I get a bit of extra hum. Usually it’s the opposite, indicating a bad ground. Not sure where to look.

All grounds go the volume control, jack is grounded, bridge is grounded, etc. any ideas on where to look?

Thanks.

Dave Weir

Platinum Supporting Member
I think it means the wires are reversed at the tone control. Or maybe at the jack. If you touch something and it makes noise it usually means it’s hot. The pot body should be ground

fetishfrog

I think it means the wires are reversed at the tone control. Or maybe at the jack. If you touch something and it makes noise it usually means it’s hot. The pot body should be ground
I think the wires at the tone control are correct.

But regarding the tone pot body, I actually don’t think it is connected to ground. Is it a simple matter of running a wire from the tone body to the volume body?

Dave Weir

You can do that, if the volume pot is grounded. Any ground is good as another. You can also ground the body right from the ground wire at the tab.
I wouldn’t try to do any electrical work on a guitar without a multi tester. You should check resistance from the cable plug body to several points. It should be zero to the pot body and strings, and from the body to the tip it should be close to the advertised pickup resistance with the pots at 10
I guess another question or thing to check is the noise only touching the tone knob, not any other metal parts?

Dave Weir

To clarify, I use a short test cable and plug one end into the Jack, and then test from the plug at the other end of the cable.

Mark Robinson

I think the wires at the tone control are correct.

But regarding the tone pot body, I actually don’t think it is connected to ground. Is it a simple matter of running a wire from the tone body to the volume body?

Even Telecasters with the tone pot grounded via the plate, and Strats that rely on foil to conduct ground can become compromised via corroded contact or the foil ripping due to a loose pot. A small redundant wire is a good idea.

Trending Topics