Guitar cabinet speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by paboucher, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:05 AM.

1. paboucher

paboucher Member

Hi
    I have an old VT guitar amp (tubes and trans) with a 6 speakers cabinet, each speaker being 10 inches in diam. One of them is torn up so I have to replace it or repair it. But I can't find the exact same speaker anywhere nor the kit to repair. There are not much info on it: DWJ6 VT80005. The cabinet is a 6G10H from VT (Vibration Technologies from Canada) and is rated 8 Ohms and 140 Watts. I have checked the resistance on the unplugged torn speaker and got 5.0 Ohms. The speakers are arranged in 2 series of 3 speakers which (the series) are plugged in parallel. I cannot see how I could come up with something close to 8 Ohm by unplugging one or two speakers.
    Any suggestion of speakers to replace or kit to repair?
    Thanks

2. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

5 ohms on your meter would be a 8 ohm speaker. You will be able to find something that is close from Eminence, match the magnet weight, and cone/surround type.

Humble Texan Fan and pdf64 like this.
  3. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

... and if still in doubt: email or phone Emi on the matter

4. 71strat

71strat Member

It may use a Celestion.
    Vibration Technology VT Ontario Canada - Jedistar
    jedistar.com/vibration-technology

[​IMG]

Vibration Technology LTD

1950 Ellesmere Road, Unit 12

Scarborough, Ontario Canada. 1970s.

Some reports made in Uxbridge Ontario. According to guitarscanada forum VT amps were transistor based not valve and used Celestion speakers from the UK.

Models included:

VT Phasor Twin, Model 2G12A (late 1970’s), 60 watt solid state guitar combo with closed back.

5. Vanyu

Vanyu Member

Let's break these numbers down a little bit and see exactly what each of these speakers are doing.

We have a nominal impedance of 8 ohms through two series trios running in parallel (correct?), so this means each series trio is running at 16 ohms. To get to 16 ohms from a series trio means these speakers have a nominal impedance of 5.33 ohms.

Your closest substitute would be a 4 ohm speaker. They're a little uncommon, but certainly not impossible to find. The difference in impedance will likely be negligible.